none
NNTP Support not working?

Question

• Since October 27, at about 6PM Eastern Time, I have been unable to retrieve new messages in the scripting forum (NNTP name Msdn.en-US.scripting). There is no reported error; just no messages.  If I look at the forum via the web - something I usually cannot do when I have the most time - I see that the forum has been quite busy.  As the bridge still works for other forums, I assume that there is a problem with the interface between the web forum and the NNTP support; can this please be fixed, as not having the NNTP access makes it virtually impossible for me to follow this forum?
    -- Jeff Zeitlin
    Monday, October 31, 2011 8:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jeff:
    I just subscribed to that group and downloaded 763 messages. What version of the bridge are you using?

[posting from the bridge]

~ Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
    Spider Web Woman Designs
    Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/
    FrontPage Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Have you tried resetting the forum/group (or whatever terminology your newsreader uses)? With some newsreaders you may have to manually delete the local storage file.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Monday, October 31, 2011 3:55 PM
  • I'm using the latest version of the Community Bridge from CodePlex; when I cleaned out the group, and attempted to use the Microsoft Bridge, I got ZERO messages after a half hour, with no timeout message.  The Community Bridge has been throwing an error into its log which indicates that there IS a problem with the Web Service, not the Bridge or my client.  The message is as follows:

[Client 961] DataReceived failed: Exception:
    Type System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException
    Source: mscorlib
    Message: The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server.
    Stack-Trace:

Server stack trace: 
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.IForumsService.GetForumMessagesBriefForNNTP(Guid forumId, Int32 nntpMessageStartIndex, Int32 nntpMessageEndIndex, Boolean loadBody)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.ForumsServiceClient.GetForumMessagesBriefForNNTP(Guid forumId, Int32 nntpMessageStartIndex, Int32 nntpMessageEndIndex, Boolean loadBody)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.<>c__DisplayClass5`1.<GetForumMessagesBriefForNntp>b__3(Int32 index, Int32 batchSize, Boolean& finished)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.BuildResultsInBatch_[T,T2](Func`2 converter, MyFunc`4 generator, Action`1 progressResult)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.GetForumMessagesBriefForNntp[T](Guid forumId, Int32 firstArticle, Int32 lastArticle, Boolean loadBody, Func`2 converter, Action`1 progress)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.ForumDataSource.GetArticlesByNumberToStream(String clientUsername, String groupName, Int32 firstArticle, Int32 lastArticle, Action`1 articlesProgressAction)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.NNTPServer.NntpCommandXOver.Parse(String parameters, Action`1 writeAction, Client client)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.NNTPServer.NntpServer.DataReceived(String data, Int32 clientNumber)Exception:
    Type System.Net.WebException
    Source: System
    Message: The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server.
    Stack-Trace:
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)Exception:
    Type System.IO.IOException
    Message: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
    Stack-Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)Exception:
    Type System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    Message: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    Socket ErrorCode: 10054
    Stack-Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

-- Jeff Zeitlin
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:56 PM
  • I have; there has been no change. Please see my response to Kathleen above.

The problem is with the web server forcibly closing the connection.

Currently, using the Community Bridge, the only forums I am getting messages in are (NNTP names):

Expression.en-US.web
    Msdn.en-US.databasedesign
    Msdn.en-US.worddev
    Technet.en-US.winservergp

I am getting no messages but no errors for (NNTP names):

Msdn.en-US.innovateonoffice
    Msdn.en-US.windowscompatibility
    Microsoft.en-US.webmastergeneral
    Msdn.en-US.scripting

I am getting the error reported above for  (NNTP names):

Technet.en-US.winserverpowershell
    Msdn.en-US.iewebdevelopment
    Technet.en-US.ITCG
    Technet.en-US.w7itproui

Using the Microsoft Forums Bridge (not the Community Bridge), I am getting absolutely nothing.

--
    Jeff Zeitlin

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:57 PM
  • I took a quick look at this and was able to repro some timeouts and 503 responses...not good. I'll spend some time looking deeper into this today and give everyone an update when I know more.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jeff Zeitlin Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Last night, I was having some problems with connectivity, but I do know that I successfully checked without timeout all of my forums except the Hey Scripting Guy forum (NNTP name technet.en-US.ITCG).

Naomi N: I unproposed Brent's comment as an answer because while it acknowledges that there does seem to be a problem, it does not present a fix or a report that the problem HAS been fixed; if I continue to be able to download without trouble, and Brent does report back (hopefully with an explanation of what went wrong, not just an 'It's fixed'), the report would legitimately be a final answer.

-- Jeff Zeitlin
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Last night, I was unable to get downloads on the four groups that I noted above as throwing errors.  The same errors are being thrown.
    -- Jeff Zeitlin
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Yes, we are aware. If I need more info on this, I'll let you know. We have enough to go on at the moment re: repro etc. This is currently assigned to dev and we are still looking into it, no eta.
    Friday, November 04, 2011 5:00 AM
    Answerer
  • Last night, I was having some problems with connectivity, but I do know that I successfully checked without timeout all of my forums except the Hey Scripting Guy forum (NNTP name technet.en-US.ITCG).

Naomi N: I unproposed Brent's comment as an answer because while it acknowledges that there does seem to be a problem, it does not present a fix or a report that the problem HAS been fixed; if I continue to be able to download without trouble, and Brent does report back (hopefully with an explanation of what went wrong, not just an 'It's fixed'), the report would legitimately be a final answer.

-- Jeff Zeitlin

A third possible answer to bugs is, "We now know (or have known) and have added it to the bug log." That's not the answer people want, but that's an answer. I agree with you that Brent's reply isn't any of those possible answers.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Monday, November 07, 2011 9:41 PM
    Owner
  • Further information - yes, I realize it's unasked for, but the conditions have since changed.

I am now OCCASIONALLY able to get messages via the bridge for three of the four groups that are erroring out.  It is completely unpredictable as to whether I will be able to at any particular time.  However, on Msdn.en-US.iewebdevelopment, I have been unable to get new messages at all; upon inspecting the log from the bridge, during header retrieval, that group consistently throws an error

[Client 100] DataReceived failed: Exception:
    Type System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]
    Source: mscorlib
    Stack-Trace:

Server stack trace: 
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.IForumsService.GetForumMessagesBriefForNNTP(Guid forumId, Int32 nntpMessageStartIndex, Int32 nntpMessageEndIndex, Boolean loadBody)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.ForumsServiceClient.GetForumMessagesBriefForNNTP(Guid forumId, Int32 nntpMessageStartIndex, Int32 nntpMessageEndIndex, Boolean loadBody)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.<>c__DisplayClass5`1.<GetForumMessagesBriefForNntp>b__3(Int32 index, Int32 batchSize, Boolean& finished)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.BuildResultsInBatch_[T,T2](Func`2 converter, MyFunc`4 generator, Action`1 progressResult)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.GetForumMessagesBriefForNntp[T](Guid forumId, Int32 firstArticle, Int32 lastArticle, Boolean loadBody, Func`2 converter, Action`1 progress)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.ForumDataSource.GetArticlesByNumberToStream(String clientUsername, String groupName, Int32 firstArticle, Int32 lastArticle, Action`1 articlesProgressAction)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.NNTPServer.NntpCommandXOver.Parse(String parameters, Action`1 writeAction, Client client)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.NNTPServer.NntpServer.DataReceived(String data, Int32 clientNumber)

-- Jeff Zeitlin
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:00 PM
            at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&    msgData, Int32 type)
            at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.<>c__DisplayClass5`1.<GetForumMessagesBriefForNntp>b__3(Int32 index, Int32 batchSize, Boolean&    finished)
            at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.NNTPServer.NntpServer.DataReceived(String data, Int32 clientNumber)

Hmm... I think the problem is the web service... he should not throw an expection in the "GetForumMessagesBriefForNntp"... if the article is not present, it should just return the next in the list (there ist a "first/lastArticle" in the parameter)...

Hmm...

Jochen Kalmbach (MVP VC++)
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Yes; that was my take on it all along when I saw the original error messages. I'm not sure whether Brent sees it the same way, or whether the devs it was handed off too are the bridge devs or the webservice devs. If Brent was able to repro it with the MS bridge vs. the Community bridge that I use, it's likely that he'd see it as pointing to the web service. I was only able to get the error reports from the community bridge, though; the MS bridge doesn't seem to have any sort of error reporting that I can find.

-- Jeff Zeitlin
    Friday, November 11, 2011 12:51 PM
  • The Hey Scripting Guy! Forum is now also throwing errors due to deleted messages, and I can no longer get messages in that group via the web service even sporadically.

(Edit: Jochen, it also appears that the Bridge is repeating the error throw instead of trying to recover and continue. I've created that as an issue and a discussion over on Codeplex, with links in the discussion to this thread and to the issue.)

-- Jeff Zeitlin
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:05 PM
  • I have seen it on codeplex... can you please provide more info (see codeplex).

The problem is, there is no good way to recover from this error... if I want to get a message, I need to get it... and the function returns an array of messages... if I jst assume that all of these messages are deleted, then you surely miss some messages...

For example if I request 1-10 and the message 5 is delete, the current web-service method throws an expection (as you have docunmented).

Should I now assume that the message from 1-10 are deleted!?

This would lead to many "false deleted" messages.. which will never apear in the client... this is at least as bad as the current situation...

Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:23 PM
  • I've updated the Issue on Codeplex, and suggested a possible technique for a workaround - but the problem is unquestionably with the Web Service. I've also looked at a possible workaround based on my specific client's capabilities, but that didn't pan out, and I commented there about it.
    -- Jeff Zeitlin
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Yes, the problem is the web-service. It should only return the existing messages and not throwing an exception...

I will try to implement a work-around...

Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Hi Brent!

I have now a short repor-step with the MS bridge:

telnet localhost 119

200 Server is ready and posting is allowed.
    GROUP Technet.en-US.ITCG
    211 51622 1 51622 Technet.en-US.ITCG
    XOVER 7520-7521
    224 Overview information follows
    7520 =?utf-8?B?UmU6IExhc3QgbG9nIG9uIGZvciBhIGxpc3Qgb2Ygc3BlY2lmaWMgdXNlcnMgaW
    4gQWN0aXZlIERpcmVjdG9yeQ==?=    =?utf-8?B?RGVlcFNwcmluZw==?=    Tue, 10 Nov 2009
     17:25:07 +0000 <5a6d6867-ebf0-4c9e-ac77-f621156538f8> <8fb18a12-79d3-473e-81be
    -bf9c199b8835>  0       0
    7521    =?utf-8?B?UmU6IERldGVybWluZSBwYXNzd29yZCBjaGFuZ2UgaW5mbw==?= =?utf-8?
    B?R3VubmVyOTk5?=        Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:42:26 +0000 <1f432c55-72ef-4a66-bff0
    -2d4fea2be7b2>  <a22fd9ef-dcf8-43ee-89ca-de259a8ea4eb>  0       0
    XOVER 7520-7522
    224 Overview information follows
    503 Web service error

Hopefully you will solve the problem with the web-service soon!

Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:43 PM
  • I have now a new release of the CommunityForumsBridge...

In case of the bug from the web-service, it catches the exception and gets the messages one-by-one.

I think the solution is at least better, than not getting any messages...

For more info see:
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/releases/view/76787
     See also here:
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/workitem/9553
     And I hope, that Brent will try to solve the problem....
     PS: It is some kind of funny: The answers-team are currently trying to implement a web-service to their forum and it seems that the social-team is currently trying to "not support" the web-service anymore...

We will wait and see what happens next....

Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:19 PM
  • @ Jochen

PS: It is some kind of funny: The answers-team are currently trying to implement a web-service to their forum and it seems that the social-team is currently trying to "not support" the web-service anymore...

Is there anything definite that you can say?   Someone was asking about this on Answers today and all I could remember is either Emily or Barbara hinting about it--with of course no way to search to confirm my recollection because Answers Feedback is not searchable and because Answers RSS feeds which I do cache temporarily don't show any response posts.   ; {

BTW this is my first post via the bridge in a long time.   Now I remember how tricky WLMail makes editing in HTML (no HTML source so all edits to support blockquote have to be done by various combinations of Decrease (or Increase) Indent and insert new lines.    ; p

Normally I would just extract the link from your Archived-At header and post via the web.  So this is being done just as recognition of your great work.    ; )

TIA

Robert
    ---
    Monday, November 14, 2011 3:40 PM
  • That is a good question.... I think I can say, that I starting to work on the bridge for Answers.

I should contactEmily, that she should make some kind of announcement... but I think she will wait until the Release is offically planned... it will not take too long anymore...

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:26 PM
  • We have acknowledged there is a problem and we are investigating it. Thanks and I'll report back when I have an ETA.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Just to remember Brent et.al. that this issue has still not been fixed.

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info

Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:06 AM