WebMatrix 3 SQL Server CE Database Read-Only, ID Column Cannot be Modified RRS feed

• Question

• User1041810565 posted

In going through Scott Hanselman's "5 Minute Intro to ASP.NET Web Pages" here on this site using WebMatrix 3, I have created the SQL CE database as directed numerous times and when I attempt to add the data I continue to get an Invalid Data error "Your change could not be committed to the database.... The column cannot be modified. [Column name = ID]"

The first column is labeled "ID", is type "bigint" and set up as "Primary Key" and "Identity".  The rest of the columns are added as defined in the video as well.  When I attempt to add data, the table never appears to be in true edit mode.  There is no asterisk on the LH side of the row being added although I can type information into the table cells.  When I try to commit the row and star on the next, the error above comes up every time.

I have deleted and started over about 10 times and the same thing happens every time.  I have searched for hours looking for a solution, buy no joy to this point.

Any ideas?

Doug

Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:35 AM

Answers

• User379720387 posted

Well....... WebMatrix 3 has broken db functionality.  There is a thread here "Webmatrix 3 upgrade experience" or something along those lines where you will find all the details.

Forget about using it for now. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, May 5, 2013 9:04 AM

All replies

• User379720387 posted

Well....... WebMatrix 3 has broken db functionality.  There is a thread here "Webmatrix 3 upgrade experience" or something along those lines where you will find all the details.

Forget about using it for now. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, May 5, 2013 9:04 AM
  • User-2075123313 posted

Thank you. I ran into this as well and did not understand what was going on. Now I know that it is a Webmatrix issue. I got around it by writing SQL to INSERT the records rather than entering directly.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 11:33 AM
  • User1041810565 posted

Thanks for the answer, wavemaster!  I thought that might be the case but then thought they never would have released it with that type of flaw.  In any event, thanks again.

Doug

Sunday, May 5, 2013 1:56 PM
  • User-792263848 posted

EPIC FAIL!

Friday, May 24, 2013 12:47 AM
  • User379720387 posted

Unfortunately, Microsoft is moving at a snail's pace.

They have known about it for weeks now. But they leave the upgrade message and the Webmatrix 3 download out there.

Friday, May 24, 2013 7:46 AM
  • User1181131379 posted

Any new information regarding this bug? Growing tired of having to write the SQL-querys by hand now that I've grown used to the simple interface WebMatrix offers, when it's working.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:49 AM
  • User699281885 posted

Just bumped into this bug as well when I was following the WebMatrix 2 tutorial on

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh145669(VS.99).aspx

The export to Visual Studio 2012 function doesn't work either. I get this message: 

The following files were specified on the command line:

WebMatrix-<projectname>.sln

These files could not be found will not be loaded
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:35 PM