none
Process oobe settings after audit configuration pass RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of creating a custom Windows 7 Embedded Standard image using the Image Configuration Editor. I have some software that needs to be installed during the audit stage (.NET 4.0, and some application-specific software), and I also would like to set up the user accounts/passwords and product key in my answer file and apply those settings to the oobe pass.

According to the MSDN documentation, resealing into Audit mode will bypass the oobe configuration pass. Is there an accepted way to run both configuration passes? Will I need to create a separate answer file to handle my oobe settings, and then use this when resealing to oobe from auditUser?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:10 PM

All replies

• Just curious, why are you running or installing in audit mode?

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:05 PM
  • I'm very new to using Image Configuration Editor and working with answer files, so my initial research showed that audit mode would be a perfect time to install required drivers and software. My understanding of the process was that I could do this in Audit mode, reseal to oobe, and then have my oobe settings (creating my user accounts, bypassing the Welcome user prompts, etc) applied.

Monday, October 29, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Actually, it is better to run everything in Pass 7 OOBE and sometimes Pass 4.  Then you run sysprep with an unattended file to roll back the fully installed image - this will be the master image for duplication. Each clone (copy) of the master will boot and will bypass the OOBE settings that you have configured in the unattended answer file.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:03 PM
  • In this case, would I invoke sysprep with the /generalize option? Is that what you mean by rolling back the image?

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:07 PM
  • You'd use:

sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml

Which you need to bake before-hand from the original .xml file.

I actually create users in P4 and install stuff in P4 and P6. I don't trust P7 to get everything right on the first boot.

I have to manually configure some user stuff, install $application as the autologon user etc.

=^x^=

Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:14 AM