Different Build Defnitions Same Build Server/Controller Questions... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

After several posts here in this forum, I've been able to get the Release configuration of our Web App solution to build.  I've included pre and post build scripts for prep, post build file movements, UI test firing, etc.  This is a continuous integration setup fired with each check-in.

We're using VS/TFS 2015 and I'm currently using TfvcTemplate.12.xaml.  Now to my questions.

I have a build that compiles and stages files on a test server.  Then a single UI test to login/out is fired just to make sure things are in order.

Now what I would like to do is create another Build definition to basically do the same thing, but this will run a full suite of UI tests.  This build would be scheduled to run sometime at night, after hours.

I think I will set this up to use a different agent on the Server, but my concern is with the Source Settings in the Definition.  I would like to use the same work area, c:\src\MyDirectory.  I seem to remember trying this with Debug vs Release builds and I received messages that the location is already mapped.

Will it be OK if I use a different Agent.  Or, should I just use a different directory like C:\src\Nightly or something to that effect.

As I typed this, I thought maybe I could handle it in the current setup's post build script to check the time of the run and fire the full UI test suite after a certain time.  But, since this currently set as a CI build, there won't be any checkins to fire off the build since all will be home enjoying their families, etc.

Just wondering about alternate solutions to my issue(s).  Any help appreciated!!

Saturday, October 24, 2015 12:32 AM

Answers

• Hi NitLions, 

Thanks for your post.

If this different agent configured on the same machine with your previous build agent, you need configure another directory like C:\src\Nightly on it. Or you can configure this new build agent on another new machine. I think both are OK.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:28 AM