Cannot start test project because the project does not contain any tests RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried running script from a remote location and got error message "Cannot start test project because the project does not contain any tests". From then my local tests are not getting executed with the same error message. Please help me out
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Daya_TR,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Would you mind providing us more information for further looking at this issue?

1. Is there a test in the test project? Which VS do you use?
    2. Which test do you work with? If it is the load test, you need to make sure there are some tests in the test mix of a scenario such as unit test, web test and coded UI test.
    3. Do you run the load test remotely using test controller and test agent?
    4. What is the “remote location”?

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:21 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using VS2010 Ultimate and running a Coded UI Test.

Screenshot shows my solution explorer and i've tried record and playback as well but didn't worked.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Hello Daya_TR,

Glad to receive your reply.

Please clarify the following points to help resolve this issue:

1. Which test do you work with? If it is the load test, you need to make sure there are some tests in the test mix of a scenario such as unit test, web test and coded UI test.
    2. Do you run the load test remotely using test controller and test agent?
    3. What is the “remote location”? Where you run the test?

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:22 AM
  • Amanda,

I'm just trying to run a simple coded ui test. I'm not working with load test. I'm running coded ui test on one of our desktop applications.

Earlier scripts used to run fine, but couple of days earlier i've tried to open a solution file from network drive and got error that no tests exist. From then local scripts also stopped running throwing error no tests exists.

Remote location falls under office network from where i've tried to open the solution file.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:46 PM
  • Hello Daya_TR,

I do a research and find a thread with similar issue:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsunittest/thread/3896779c-0466-4877-8752-b1916774644c

You can refer to Anuj’s reply and try the workaround: set COMPLUS_LoadFromRemoteSources=1 to check if it can help.

If still no help, hope you can provide us more information to help narrow down this issue:

When do you get this error? Isn’t the test of this project in the Test View after you build the solution? If you right click the test method in the Coded UI Test and select Run Test, will this error occur?

I suggest that you create a new and simple unit test in VS2010 rather than network drive and then run it to check if you will get the same error.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Friday, December 7, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Hello Daya_TR,

What about your issue now? Can you get useful information from my reply?

Would you tell us the result of my suggestion?

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Sunday, December 9, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

Setting COMPLUS_LoadFromRemoteSources to 1 didn't worked either. And moreover in current context i'm trying to run scripts in local machine. So i think there is no point in setting Complus value.

On further research, i've found that no tests are being displayed in the Test list editor. I've tried creating a test by selecting Test -> Windows -> Test View but still tests are not being displayed in test list editor.

When i right click on the test method and click "Run Test" a message "No tests were run because no tests are loaded or the selected tests are disabled" is shown.

In output, an error message Error loading C:\Users\XXXXX\documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\XXXXSolution\XXXXX\bin\debug\XXXXX.dll: Unable to load the test container C:\Users\XXXXX\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\XXXXXSolution\XXXXX\bin\Debug\XXXXX.dll or one of its dependencies. Error details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting, version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the specified file.

But i can locate the file and able to make sure the file exists. I've also tried loading the references but nothing worked

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hello Daya_TR,

I would like to know if you have VS2010 and VS2012 install on the same machine. I have met some similar issues caused by installing VS2010 and VS2012 on the same machine. They may interfere with each other.

For example:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/fd69b091-dd4c-4721-95f0-9ef381596134

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vststest/thread/1cfda153-e817-4911-b657-9da20cc5940f

It seems you have some wrong resolved reference(version 11.0.0.0 UITesting assembly) in your project.

Try to remove it and add it back via Add Reference. Then re-build (means clean + build) your package and try again.

And you can check if you have installed VS2010 SP1. If not, please install it to check if it can help.

If still no help, I suggest that you can uninstall the VS2012 to check the result.

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by Amanda ZhuModerator Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Daya_TR Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:08 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:00 AM
  • Hello Daya_TR,

What about your issue now? Could you get useful information from our reply?

Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestion?

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

It worked :)

I have VS 2010 and VS 2012 both installed on a machine. Uninstalling VS2012 worked. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate you. I've got stuck up with this issue and my manager would be more happy hearing this news.

Thanks again.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Hello Dra_TR,

Glad to see this issue has been resolved and thank you for sharing your solutions & experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:30 AM