none
Programming for Already Builded Device RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,  I have this Device "ICOP VSX6154" 

it have installed version of Windows CE6 on it .

+ They Gave me Nk.bin file and Acronis True image of installed os on HDD

Now i have a few Question .

1-Is it possible to connect this device to PC and program for it (like Ethernet , or deAttach the HDD) ?

2-Is it possible to emulate this device without connecting it to pc?

3-I Read that the CE 6 R3 version comes with .net 3.5 compact, so how can i find out that this version of os on hardware have it installed already ?

things that i have done already with no result :

Installed VS 2005 +SP1 and updates

Installed Windows embedded CE 6 + R2+ R3 + SP1 for platform designer

Installed ICOP_VSX6154_SDK_WINCE600.msi

Installed ICOP_VSX6154_60ES_BSP

Also I Builded The Costume OS , but cant emulate it :(

Btw my goal to is to build dotnet program to monitor RS232 or com port on this hardware

Thanks

Saturday, February 4, 2012 9:23 PM

Answers

• You can change the registry to start your application instead of explorer.exe by overwriting the explorer launch and depends values in HKLM\Init (either on the device using the existing NK or by creating your own kernel). You do, however, need to first create a small native application that waits for all the API's to be ready that are needed to run a Compact Framework application. If you try to start a compact framework application too soon in the boot process it will not start.

Also note that you can not emulate an existing NK.bin built for a device. The emulator NK.bin is binary and functionally different than one built for an actual device. In other words; you can not detach the HDD from your device and expect that same NK to run as an emulator.

If the .NET CF is not included in the image provided by ICOP (sounds strange to me but again, you need to ask them) then you can create your own NK with only the components you require in them. You then of course need VS2K5 with PB and the BSP.

My best advice to you on all these matters; ask ICOP.

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
    Check out my blog: http://guruce.com/blog

GuruCE
    Microsoft Embedded Partner
    http://guruce.com
    Consultancy, training and development services.

Sunday, February 5, 2012 10:10 PM

All replies

• things that i have done already with no result :

Installed VS 2005 +SP1 and updates

Installed Windows embedded CE 6 + R2+ R3 + SP1 for platform designer

Installed ICOP_VSX6154_SDK_WINCE600.msi

Installed ICOP_VSX6154_60ES_BSP

Also I Builded The Costume OS , but cant emulate it :(

Btw my goal to is to build dotnet program to monitor RS232 or com port on this hardware

Thanks

If you just want to write applications for this device you don't need VS2k5 and Windows Embedded. If you want to create an emulator of this device it is probably best to ask ICOP for an emulator image. You can create an emulator yourself (in VS2K5 + PB) by selecting the Emulator BSP, then selecting all of the components that are on the device as well (but that's a bit harder to know, hence it's easier to ask ICOP for it) and build the image. If you then select "attach device" the emulator should start up on your PC.

For application development only I advice to use VS2K8, install the SDK and connect to the device. Usually the standard settings are enough and the SDK connection manager will find the device through ActiveSync. If that doesn't work you'll have to get the IP of the device and somehow run "conmanclient2" and "cmaccept" on the device. You then have to setup the connection to your device in VS2K8 for the IP of the device. Detailed steps can be found in the user guide for the Topaz (a board we support). Even though this documentation is not for your hardware it still describes the same process you would use for your hardware.

Monitoring the RS232 port is then as simple as:

HANDLE hCOM = CreateFile(L"COM1:", ..., OPEN_EXISTING, ...)

if (INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE != hCOM)

{

DCB dcb;

dcb.dwSize = sizeof(dcb);

dcb.BaudRate = 115200;

dcb.Parity = NOPARITY;

etc.

SetCommState(hCOM, &dcb)

ReadFile(hCOM, ....

}

Above is of course pseudo code but that's the idea...

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP

GuruCE
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Thanks alot for the Guide ,

So Its better for me to just write my program in VS2008 Then.

The reason i was using the VS2005 was to get the device ability to run Dotnet3.5 managed code and also make it
    to run in kiosk mode for my app.

Is There any chance to edit the File on The HDD that installed on the board directy ?

I just deattaced the HDD from the board and Connect it to my pc with ide emulator , it have nk.bin file + other windows folder.

So is it ok to just Make a Image of windows + additional Driver and Dotnet in Vs2005(nk.bin), and and then remove all file in hdd ,copy it in it , connect it to my board again and start pc ?

Thanks in forward

Sunday, February 5, 2012 10:03 PM
  • You can change the registry to start your application instead of explorer.exe by overwriting the explorer launch and depends values in HKLM\Init (either on the device using the existing NK or by creating your own kernel). You do, however, need to first create a small native application that waits for all the API's to be ready that are needed to run a Compact Framework application. If you try to start a compact framework application too soon in the boot process it will not start.

Also note that you can not emulate an existing NK.bin built for a device. The emulator NK.bin is binary and functionally different than one built for an actual device. In other words; you can not detach the HDD from your device and expect that same NK to run as an emulator.

If the .NET CF is not included in the image provided by ICOP (sounds strange to me but again, you need to ask them) then you can create your own NK with only the components you require in them. You then of course need VS2K5 with PB and the BSP.

My best advice to you on all these matters; ask ICOP.

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP

GuruCE

Sunday, February 5, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Thanks alot That was all i need to know :)
    Best Regard.
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 10:14 PM