Assemblies are not visible in GAC, but can be uninstalled using gacutil -u RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i have a very interesting problem,  when i view gac from windows explorer for a particular assembly say x.dll, it is not visible, but when i launch a cmd and use gacutil -u to unistall it, gacutil finds it and uninstalls it...

has anyone faced this and has a resolution??

Monday, October 4, 2010 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post. Just some quick reflections:

- Have you tried refresh the assembly folder though this is not likely the cause.

- What GAC path are you viewing? The GACs for .NET 4.0 and .NET 2.0-3.5 are located differently. The default GAC location has changed in .NET 4.0 from %windir%\assembly to %windir%\Microsoft.NET\assembly

- What version of gacutil are you using? Different versions of gacutil will use different GAC.

Please mark the right answer at the right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    • Edited by SamAgain Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:11 AM refine
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:26 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

I did as you did. The GAC opened is %windir%\assembly, which is for .NET 2.0. Please check the version of gacutil.exe. It can be checked by just run the gacutil.exe on command line, the version will be in the first line of the console output.

Thanks,
    Sam
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post. Just some quick reflections:

- Have you tried refresh the assembly folder though this is not likely the cause.

- What GAC path are you viewing? The GACs for .NET 4.0 and .NET 2.0-3.5 are located differently. The default GAC location has changed in .NET 4.0 from %windir%\assembly to %windir%\Microsoft.NET\assembly

- What version of gacutil are you using? Different versions of gacutil will use different GAC.

Thanks,
    Sam
    • Edited by SamAgain Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:11 AM refine
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:09 AM
  • we are not viewing the physical folder, we do start->run-> and then enter "assembly", which brings the gac
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

I did as you did. The GAC opened is %windir%\assembly, which is for .NET 2.0. Please check the version of gacutil.exe. It can be checked by just run the gacutil.exe on command line, the version will be in the first line of the console output.

Thanks,
    Sam
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:05 PM
  • We temporarily mark a reply. If there's any impropriety, please unmark it and we will take further care of it.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:26 AM