none
Datasets and Datatables RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question about creating a dataset  at runtime.  Can a dataset capture. a complicated database structure consisting of say 300 different tables at runtime (access or sql server).  If you have enough memory, can you represent an entire database in memory easily?  What are size limits (number of rows) for datatables.  Does a dataset permit databinding to applications such as crystal reports or matlab.  Do applications which rely heavily on datasets greatly benefit from migrating to 64 bit development environments and more memory.

Thanks,

Fred

Friday, May 9, 2008 4:59 PM

All replies

• Yes, you could create pretty complicated structure of DataSets during runtime and structured could be close to something in a database. And you could probably keep the whole database in a memory assuming that you have enough memory resources.  As I know limitations for the number of rows are pretty high, so you would probably never get them. But would it be efficient way to keep database? I would say no. First of all your application will spend huge amount of time to load monster database wih the data. Second, real relational databases have optimized query engines that allow fast data retrieval. DataSet cannot compete with databases in terms of data quering and actually have limited functionality of doing such tasks.

I know that Crystal Reports allow to bind to DataSets, but from my personal experience engine that build reports based on DatAsets is very slow and does not worth to use.

I do not see how 64 bit would change efficiency of applications. It more depend on how your created your application.

Monday, May 12, 2008 10:01 AM