vs2010 pro sql install fail RRS feed

• Question

• Heya,

I know this issue has been mentioned repeatedly, but no suggested solutions I've found have worked, & I think I've FUBAR'd my machine's ability to have vs & ms sq server on it.

Windows 7 Pro, SP1

Visual Studio 2010 Pro

?not certain all of which version of sql server are now on my computer after what I describe below?

this all started when my initial install of vs2010 pro installed some version of sql server as well.  unfortunately, it didn't have the management interface I've come to know & love where I can create DB's, add logins, etc.  having previously been familiar with vs2008 & being able to use sql server 2008 express r2 with it, I installed that version of sql server.  with the management interface, I created my DB & added a new login that had access to the new DB.  I made a new asp.net web site in vs2010, but no matter what connection string I used in the web.config (integrated security, trusted connection, sa auth, windows auth, etc.), I always got login failed.

After googling for a few hours, I found a post indicating that sql server 2008 express r2 was made *after* vs2010 pro, so vs2010 pro can't fully work with it.  so I began the procress of trying to remove all sql server installs.  I've been working on this for a couple days now, & no suggestion I've found yet has been able to remove the sql server 2008 express r2 install.  eventually, I found a post on an ms site that said I have to remove vs, remove registry keys, rename folders, & go through reinstallation.

having done all that, I can install vs2010 pro, but now it fails to install the default sql server version on the install disk.  I found multiple posts on social.msdn.microsoft.com forums indicating that the vs2010 install of sql server is fraught with issues.  however, if I just download & install sql server express 2008 sp1 manually, eveything should work.

unfortunately, this has not been the case either.  it's been a couple days now, & I even know how to get back to a "pre vs & sql" state on my machine so I can start fresh.

can someone please give me some step by step instructions about how to remove all vs2010 pro & all sql server software from my machine, how I can install vs2010 pro properly with the appropriate version of sql server that it will work with, & how to get a local asp.net web site created in vs2010 pro to connect properly to the appropriate local version of sql server that works with vs2010?

I know this is a tall order, but so far, just reading a billion posts on msdn about "how to fix these issues" has seemed to do more harm than good.

- O8

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

By default, Visual Studio 2010 ships SQL Server 2008 Express Edition SP1, however this will not install SQL Server Management Studio for you. If you want to manage this express instance such as creating databases, you could download SQL Server Management Studio from Microsoft Download Center. You can download SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio Express Edition which can manage all SQL Server 2005/2008/2008 R2 Database Engine instances, see: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=56AD557C-03E6-4369-9C1D-E81B33D8026B&displaylang=en.

As you mentioned, you get SQL Server connection login failed errors in your applications. Please make sure you use correct connection string based on instance you are connecting, such as server name (or Data Source). For more information about how to compose a server name, you can refer to this blog post, and you can refer here about SQL Server connection strings.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by WeiLin Qiao Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:01 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:44 AM

All replies

• Heya,

I "fixed" the installation problem based upon the following link:  http://forums.iis.net/t/1162871.aspx.  Now I just have to figure out why the default sql server install for vs2010 pro doesn't have the nice management interface, & why my own computer doesn't show up as an option in Create New SQL Server Database...

- O8

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

By default, Visual Studio 2010 ships SQL Server 2008 Express Edition SP1, however this will not install SQL Server Management Studio for you. If you want to manage this express instance such as creating databases, you could download SQL Server Management Studio from Microsoft Download Center. You can download SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio Express Edition which can manage all SQL Server 2005/2008/2008 R2 Database Engine instances, see: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=56AD557C-03E6-4369-9C1D-E81B33D8026B&displaylang=en.

As you mentioned, you get SQL Server connection login failed errors in your applications. Please make sure you use correct connection string based on instance you are connecting, such as server name (or Data Source). For more information about how to compose a server name, you can refer to this blog post, and you can refer here about SQL Server connection strings.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by WeiLin Qiao Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:01 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:44 AM