none
Multiple Virtual Networks to one physical Network - due to VLAN. Impossible? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just found out something that I  find disturbing.

It seems I can not create multiple virtual networks that are all mapped to the same NIC, even though should logically be able to do so...

...at least since Hyper-Z now does support VLAN tagged traffic.

I always get the error message:

"Error applying new virtual network changed"

"Setup switch failed"

"The switch could not bind to xxxx because it is alraeasy bound to another switch".

In this particualr case, the network caed would go into a highe rend level 3 switch that would expose multiple VLAN's. Besides the untagged default vlan, the others would be identifyable by VLAN tag.

Is there any reason that I can not have that set up through virtual networks? It seems counter-productive to include multiple physical network cards just to handle this scenario.
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:11 AM

Answers

• You are correct that this is a limitation of our architecture - but I am not sure why it is an issue.  You can connect multiple virtual machines that are configured for different VLANs to the same virtual network.

Cheers,

Ben

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:50 PM

All replies

• You are correct that this is a limitation of our architecture - but I am not sure why it is an issue.  You can connect multiple virtual machines that are configured for different VLANs to the same virtual network.

Cheers,

Ben

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  

Ah, you are indeed right. I can attach the network to the network card WITHOUT using a VLAN tag, and then I can use the VLAN identification on the virtual machine. Absolutly correct, I had overlooked that.

I basically want to keep systems from multiple customers on a hyper-v cluster later on, and separate their traffic by vlan. I dont necessarily want to ahve one network card per vlan, naturally Wink

But you are right, I can do so without having multiple vrtual networks. Stupid oversight from me.

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:46 AM