dual booting major issue - My Windows 7 partition is no longer listed as a bootable partition

Question

•  as evidenced by the above pictures ive installed win 8 dev alongside windows 7 Ultimate (and Linux mint but its drive doesn't show up in windows due to its file system) well for the past hour ive been trying to boot into 7 without success did a little digging and seen some ppl changed the settings in the above window well my 7 os isn't there so that one didn't work so i decided were going old school and editing the boot.ini file and whoops brain skip windows vista and 7 did away the boot.ini and replaced it with this dumb bcdedit.exe so of course 8 would have too....grrr so searched the win 8 partition for bcdedit found it but when i attempt to open it it opens then crashes out to the main screen so now im stuck in this dev build without acess to half my programs and this annoying touch screen oriented interface i actually see great potential for this but this current situation is very frustrating any suggestions?

Friday, October 28, 2011 6:17 AM

Answers

• hi there,

take a look at the bcdedit /V command to list your bcdboot entries and check up if your Windows 7 bootentry is still there.

rememeber to launch your command from an elevated command prompt and don't expect it to run fron the run commandline, since it has no GUI.

you can also take a look at a third party tool, like EascyBCD or else in order to get a friendlier interface if you're not familiar with Bcdboot/bcdedit command lines and parameters...beware it easily can mess up your setup if not used properly.

regarding dual boot Win7/8 be aware that you have to let the system boot up in Win8 in order to get the dual boot choice interface, which is just before the logon...

regarding the installation process, how did you install Windows 8 on your setup? have you taken a look at the post it regarding dual boot on this ver forum to check if everything was done the proper way?

keep us posted.

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:26 AM

All replies

• hi there,

take a look at the bcdedit /V command to list your bcdboot entries and check up if your Windows 7 bootentry is still there.

rememeber to launch your command from an elevated command prompt and don't expect it to run fron the run commandline, since it has no GUI.

you can also take a look at a third party tool, like EascyBCD or else in order to get a friendlier interface if you're not familiar with Bcdboot/bcdedit command lines and parameters...beware it easily can mess up your setup if not used properly.

regarding dual boot Win7/8 be aware that you have to let the system boot up in Win8 in order to get the dual boot choice interface, which is just before the logon...

regarding the installation process, how did you install Windows 8 on your setup? have you taken a look at the post it regarding dual boot on this ver forum to check if everything was done the proper way?

keep us posted.

Pierre.

Friday, October 28, 2011 6:26 AM
  • yes though i didn't look at the guide but im pretty familiar with dualbooting i shrunk the drive in win7 then booted up the cd and let it format the partition then install though when it booted up it still didn't give me that option...im gonna try that easybcd you mentioned though
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:48 AM
  • easybcd only lists the one for the dev preview anyway you could give me the parameters?

[edited] i found it very easy ill post on here in a few to let you know if it worked
    • Edited by cajunzman Friday, October 28, 2011 6:55 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:52 AM
  • ok :)

Friday, October 28, 2011 7:20 AM
  • thank it worked amazingly i still wondering why it apparently rewrote the entire boot configuration though but being how this isnt a beta theyre probably aware of the many bugs lol
    Friday, October 28, 2011 8:31 AM
  • Hey Cajunzman,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:36 PM