none
Network Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to understand to what extent Win10 IoT is planning to participate in Windows domain security and administration. We have existing "black box" products for the enterprise space running on our own custom hardware. Because we're in the enterprise space, we're eyeing Win10 IoT as potentially providing the feature to our customers of being able to bring our products more readily within the sphere of their existing network management infrastructure.

While I'm interested in the extent to which Win10 IoT does this today, my primary interest is in the extent it is intended to do it by first release.  I'm trying to answer the question of whether we'll get these benefits in we dedicate development resources to head down the path of porting our proprietary code onto Win10 IoT.  (And redesigning our electronics to match some reference design like the Raspberry Pi.)

Is there a concise outline somewhere listing what capabilities Win10 IoT is going to support?  For me the overall MSDN documentation proves a bit confusing to try and figure out what level of Win10 does or does not support a given capability.

Thanks.

-- kburgoyne

Friday, June 5, 2015 4:01 PM

Answers

• If you are asking if you can join a Win10 IoT device to a Windows Active Directory Domain then currently the answer is no. I don't know if the product group plan to make this available in the future.

Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

Friday, June 5, 2015 5:20 PM

All replies

• If you are asking if you can join a Win10 IoT device to a Windows Active Directory Domain then currently the answer is no. I don't know if the product group plan to make this available in the future.

Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

Friday, June 5, 2015 5:20 PM
  • Thanks, Mark.  Thinking about that as an optional layer in the future might be worth suggesting for the group's radar.  We're keeping an eye on Moore's Law and realizing in 18 or so months light switches (which isn't what we're doing) will probably have the core computing power of today's tablets.

Do you know if it would be worthwhile to look "up-scale" in the Win10 line? What about the idea of loading a higher end Win10 variant (that does have domain support) onto something along the lines of a Raspberry Pi or its hypothetical slightly bigger brother?

-- kburgoyne

Friday, June 5, 2015 6:51 PM
  • Please keep in mind that even if you moved up to the next level of OS (Windows 10 Mobile) it also does not provide the ability to join devices to a domain.

Only versions of the desktop or server have the ability to join / participate in a Domain.  But with that said, it doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to manage either Windows 10 IoT Core devices or 10 Mobile devices.  There will be some mechanisms that will be available for device management.  I don’t have too many specifics on this that I can share just yet, however.  Please check back as we near release.

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Monday, June 8, 2015 9:23 PM
  • Right-o.  Thanks.  Just would like to suggest back to the Win10 team that IoT devices are going to continue maturing very fast, and security + management demands for fleets of them is going to continue to grow.

At home I'm already annoyed by a Samsung "Smart" TV and Samsung "Smart" BluRay player that are perhaps some of the laziest and most unprofessionally programmed "smart" devices I've ever encountered.  Yet Samsung is the leader even with the unprofessional quality.

As things continue to mature, the world, and enterprises in particular, are going to need "IoT" devices that are seriously more professional.

-- kburgoyne

Monday, June 8, 2015 10:54 PM
  • Its going to almost 3 years since this answer. I could not find other details as yet. Is the reply still valid on latest Win 10 IoT release?.  Thanks
    Monday, March 19, 2018 1:52 PM