Top reasons for an Illustrator user to try Expression Design 4? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm curious to hear the top reasons why an Illustrator user should try Expression Design 4.  Any comments would be welcomed.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:46 AM

All replies

• Speaking for myself I'd say ED is so much easier. I haven't that much experience with Illustrator, more with Photoshop, but I always found the Adobe products in general to be pretty convoluted.

Just an iopinion, of course.

Andy

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:38 PM
  • I think it is a tricky one to answer Matt.

In Illie people might be accustomed to worksharing across different apps with central resources updated automatically should any of a design team make a change on a shared resource (eg: a new company logo for screen, web and print from a draft of several possibilities).

There is a lot of stuff to Illie though and that may be to one's liking or not.

On the other hand ED (and EGD before it) were lean and mean but did not work across a variety of applications that may be needed in a commercial artwork/design environment.  EGD had one of the leanest and meanest brush stroke design tools ever making it easy-peasy to create a stroke that did what you wanted it to rather than trundle through libraries of pre-existing strokes.

ED presently seems more suited for developer type graphics that might be part of an application user interface?

• Proposed as answer by ebermed Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:39 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:33 AM
  • The lightspot of Design is it support XAML export, so if you are a WPF/Silverlight UI designer, then it's right choice to use Design.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:45 AM
  • what is in a name?  A design application by any other name is not a design application. Design rings of  resourceful ready to start from the bare bones of a project and come along side Blend and sketch flow to ccumulate in  a rich silverlight presentation. The movement of common and not so common image formats such as tiff, png, gif, jpeg and xaml bteween development apis and cross applicaton managment of resources gives Design an edge in for my buck .

MIkkE

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    • Proposed as answer by ebermed Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:41 PM
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:32 AM