Webcam issue

Question

• I have an asus N61 laptop. The webcam was inverted with the default Microsoft drivers. when i installed the manufacturer's driver the image was corrected. However the metro UI user tile page tells that the webcam is not connected. The webcam works perfectly using the manufacturer's driver in the traditional desktop mode.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hey Rhfritz,

You may be able to use some of the information provided in the link below to find/extract the .INF file from Windows 7. (The link is applicable to Windows Vista, but should still work in Windows 7):
    You cannot install a device driver by using its installation program in Windows Vista

If that doesn't work we would appreciate your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Steven
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:44 AM

All replies

• illuminati5288,

It sounds like this is a driver issue.  Please post here the driver version and the location of the driver download and we will make sure the information is passed on to the right feature group for review.

Chris
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Chris,

I have the same issue with a camera on my Fujitsu T730.

Driver Provider: Sonix
    Driver Date: 4/09/2009
    Driver Version: 5.8.52008.0
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Download is here:

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fpcap/drivers/Driver/WebCam/Chicony/v5.8.52008.0_W7-Vista-XP-32-64/WebCam_Chicony_v5.8.52008.0_W7-Vista-XP-32-64.exe

Thanks for any helo

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Since the manufacturers have not created drivers for Windows Developers Preview, I suggest you update to the most current Windows 7 driver.
    If that doesn't work, they try to install in compatibility mode.

For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:37 AM
  • I have a similar issue.   The netbook on which I installed WDP has a built-in web cam that worked fine with native drivers under both XP and Win7.  WDP shows it's installed within device manager but it won't show video -- it's all black.   I installed Skype to interact with the camera.   Skype believes the camera's there as well, but still no video.   I also installed an external USB web cam which also works natively in Win7 -- so much so it didn't even come with a driver disk -- and get the same result.  Is there a way to get the WDP troubleshooter to install a windows 7 driver for a device it thinks is functioning properly?
    rhfritz
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:15 AM
  • Did you install the latest Windows 7 drivers and install them with the compatibility Troubleshooter listed above?

If yes, do you get any error messages?

Marilyn
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:39 PM
  • I've never had a driver disk for them.   So my problem is that I don't know how to locate Win 7 native drivers to install into WDP.
    rhfritz
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:41 AM
  • If you go into Device Manager, Imaging Devices, you should see your webcam.
    Right Click on the Webcam, and click on Update drives.
    You can allow to search for the driver online or browse the location of downloaded driver.

Let us know if this helps with the Webcam.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Under Device Manager, Imaging Devices, the camera was present.   When I Right Clicked on the Webcam, and clicked on Update drivers/Search Online, it told me I was already running the best driver.  Backtracking through the Acer web site, I discovered it was a Lite-On web cam.   Selecting from the available choices (from Acer), the only driver available was an XP driver.   Note that the Acer was running a clean install of Win7HP prior to WDP and the camera was functioning fine.    When I forced compatibility on the installer and ran it, while it said the driver successfully installed, after a reboot the Imaging Device category was entirely gone from Device Manager.   Skype said there was no camera at all -- this was different from when I was running with the WDP driver and the camera was "present" but not functioning.  After running WDP "system restore" a.k.a "Refreshing your PC", I'm back to where I was.
    rhfritz
    • Edited by rhfritz Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:03 PM edit
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Hey Rhfritz,

You may want to try updating to the most recent version of your motherboard's BIOS. To check if your computer has a more recent BIOS available, try visiting your computer manufacturer's website. The link below will take you to Acer's support page:
    Acer Support

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:54 AM
  • While I did find a minor bios revision which fixes an issue that I don't have that is unrelated to the camera, the WinFlash win app that is required to perform this update doesn't run under WDP.  Even when I am logged in as admin and choose "run as administrator", it fails with some odd permissions issue. 

I also located an older USB web cam that also uses the WDP native driver and doesn't work.

So, going back to my original question, is it possible to locate the inf file that loaded the Win7 native driver for usb cameras and load that driver instead of the WDP one?

rhfritz
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hey Rhfritz,

You may be able to use some of the information provided in the link below to find/extract the .INF file from Windows 7. (The link is applicable to Windows Vista, but should still work in Windows 7):
    You cannot install a device driver by using its installation program in Windows Vista

If that doesn't work we would appreciate your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Steven
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Thanks, Steven.   But I think the answer is here:

http://www.msigeek.com/5569/how-to-get-an-inventory-of-all-the-installed-device-drivers-in-a-machine

Where are Device Drivers stored in Windows 7? - DriverStore

http://www.msigeek.com/322/driver-store-in-windows-7-and-vista

I've restored my WDP machine back to win 7.   When I get the chance I'm going to inventory the installed drivers and then pluck the package out of the Win7 driver store and attempt to install it under WDP.   I'll post those results here.

Thanks.

Rob Fritz

rhfritz
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:37 AM