Unable to create new files/folders with C# on fresh Win 8.1 installation. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having this problem only on one machine and I'm wondering if it could be hardware related? I noticed the behaviour while working on an app using CreateFolderAsync. I've since downloaded the File Access Sample and am unable to create a file there also. The error is "The network path was not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070035)". The problem seems limited to Windows store apps that need to access the file system. I'm running out of things to try as I've just done a fresh install of Windows 8.1 to try and fix the problem. Any suggestions?

thanks.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:51 AM

Answers

• There must be something unique on that machine when that profile was created.  You can try and delete that profile and create again.  If this is a show stopper for you please open a support case to drill further into this issue.  You will normally see those results that you saw in procmon.  I was curious about access denied.  You can also narrow this down yourself if you wish.  Set the filter on procmon to the name of your executable and record save and compare the profile that works and the one that doesn't on that same machine!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:55 AM
  • To follow up on this I removed the offending profile, remade it and discovered the same issue. I deleted that profile and remade it again, this time choosing not to sync apps from another device. The problem now appears to be solved. So the app sync seems a little quirky in certain cases. Thanks for the tip on it being profile related.
    • Marked as answer by FSound Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:07 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:06 AM

All replies

• Wow... Only on one machine?

Try a couple of things:

Run Procmon and see if you can detect any AccessDenied or related messages

Create another User account login on the machine and see if that profile has the same problem

Look at the security settings of that folder using Windows Explorer and compare to the working machine.

Ref: Procmon - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a different user profile and it works! Strange because the original profile works fine on different machines. Does this give any clues?

I also ran Procmon. There appears to be quite a few NAME NOT FOUND results, BUFFER OVERFLOW, NAME COLLISION and PATH NOT FOUND results but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.

thanks.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:50 AM
  • There must be something unique on that machine when that profile was created.  You can try and delete that profile and create again.  If this is a show stopper for you please open a support case to drill further into this issue.  You will normally see those results that you saw in procmon.  I was curious about access denied.  You can also narrow this down yourself if you wish.  Set the filter on procmon to the name of your executable and record save and compare the profile that works and the one that doesn't on that same machine!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:55 AM
  • To follow up on this I removed the offending profile, remade it and discovered the same issue. I deleted that profile and remade it again, this time choosing not to sync apps from another device. The problem now appears to be solved. So the app sync seems a little quirky in certain cases. Thanks for the tip on it being profile related.
    • Marked as answer by FSound Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:07 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:06 AM