none
External table is not in the expected format. Open xlsx with ACE provider RRS feed

• Question

• I know there's a ton on this error already.  If I open the file in excel and save it, it works fine.  About 20kb is added to the file when I do that.  But raw (it's an export in xlsx format that comes from another system), opening it results in the above mentioned error.

I have tried:

-  using the jet provider instead

- Adding the "XML" option to the connection string, ie:

Extended Properties='Excel 12.0 Xml;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1'

- Opening the file with EPPlus and resaving it.

Any suggestions.  I could probably share the file with an MSFT user, but I cant post it publicly.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,

>>I doubt this is an issue with a missing dll - like I said, if I resave the file in excel it works fine.

Then do you have a try to check if it is caused by the missing of the Msxml2.SAXXMLReader.6.0 component?

>>If you are interested in trying to open the file, please contact me at brandon"DOT"levitt"AT"gmail

Communication beyond the forum are not in the scope of our support as I mentioned above(this is the forum policy).

>>Not sure if that is the cause, but it is the most significant difference I see.

You mean the original file contains the worksheetN.xml and the resaved file contains sheetN.xml(or vice versa). If so, I do suggest you could do:

1.If the worked file contains sheetN.xml, then just change it to worksheetN.xml manually and then read it via code to see if works, this is worth to try, it would help identity your assumption.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hello brrrdog,

>>I know there's a ton on this error already.

Yes, a lot of same questions have been asked, and the caused reason are various, for example, check this discussion , for the same problem, it may be caused by a missing of a dll or others.

Firstly, I suggest you could create a local excel file and use the code to read it to see if it still occurs the exception.

If a local excel file could be read, then I think if you could firstly save the received document to a local file and then save it, then reading it by your code.

>>Any suggestions. I could probably share the file with an MSFT user, but I cant post it publicly.

The forum is a public forum means people on this forum would help check this, while it is hard to tell the caused reason, and if you want a one to one support, you could open a support tick(of course, it is not free).

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:32 AM
  • I doubt this is an issue with a missing dll - like I said, if I resave the file in excel it works fine. 

I don't have a problem sharing the file individually I just don't want to post it for anybody to download.  If you are interested in trying to open the file, please contact me at brandon"DOT"levitt"AT"gmail

Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:31 PM
  • renaming the file ".zip" and comparing a good and a bad file, I can see that the xml files in xl\worksheets are named worksheetN.xml instead of sheetN.xml.  Not sure if that is the cause, but it is the most significant difference I see.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 3:09 PM
  • Hello,

>>I doubt this is an issue with a missing dll - like I said, if I resave the file in excel it works fine.

Then do you have a try to check if it is caused by the missing of the Msxml2.SAXXMLReader.6.0 component?

>>If you are interested in trying to open the file, please contact me at brandon"DOT"levitt"AT"gmail

Communication beyond the forum are not in the scope of our support as I mentioned above(this is the forum policy).

>>Not sure if that is the cause, but it is the most significant difference I see.

You mean the original file contains the worksheetN.xml and the resaved file contains sheetN.xml(or vice versa). If so, I do suggest you could do:

1.If the worked file contains sheetN.xml, then just change it to worksheetN.xml manually and then read it via code to see if works, this is worth to try, it would help identity your assumption.

Regards.

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:53 AM