ODBC tables not visible in query design window RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Access 2007 and have an issue with writing queries against ODBC connected tables.  I can provide in the properties page of the query the appropriate ODBC connection string and a listing of the tables in either an Oracle or SQL database will be shown in the Show Tables dialog.  When selecting a table to add to the design window the requested table will appear on the page but then disappear in the blink of an eye.

I am unable to get the ODBC tables to "stick" to the page in design view.  Under SQL view an appropriate SQL statement can be written and executed but I won't be able to switch to design view - just SQL and datasheet.  The query is not a passthrough, just a select query.  This works just fine under Access 2003.

While I can write the query in SQL view it can be very combusersome since the ODBC references have to be written as well.  It is much more difficult with multiple joins and providing criteria.

My current work around is to create a link table to the ODBC source and then add the link table to the query.  This, however, does not provide the same level of control that the query does - making the data retrieval a snapshot for example.  The database is in an open user environment so I'd like to avoid the open link tables if I can.

Thanks for the help,

David

Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for contacting "Innovate on Office" forum, but this is not the right place to post your request,
     as we provide support on advisory issues. Basically  we address "How-to" questions and this is a
     trouble shooting issue.  Also innovate on office is a Forum to discuss advisory help on Office 2007 Questions only .
    Depending upon your partner level, you have the following three options.
    - Purchase an incident pack. Please contact the main-stream support team of  Outlook in Microsoft.
      OR
    - Use one of the incidents available to you.
      OR
    - Visit https://partner.microsoft.com/global/supportsecurity/technicalsupport/40014662

Thanks ,

Uday

Saturday, August 9, 2008 6:44 AM