Value of "DisplayName" for PrintDialog 6.2.1.0 in the registry RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to get the display names of various apps installed on my machine, but then I came across a problem-

At the following location in the registry-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\Windows.PrintDialog_6.2.1.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

The value for DisplayName is "@{Windows.PrintDialog_6.2.1.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy?ms-resource://Windows.UI.PrintDialog/Resources/DisplayName}"

However, when I passed this to the SHLoadIndirectString function, the function returned "NamedResource not found"

When I checked the actual package name of PrintDialog 6.2.1.0 using Get-AppxPackage, it read "Windows.PrintDialog" (and not "Windows.UI.PrintDialog", like one would expect, based on the value of DisplayName)

I finally managed to get the correct display name by passing the following string to the SHLoadIndirectString function- "@{Windows.PrintDialog_6.2.1.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy?ms-resource://Windows.PrintDialog/Resources/DisplayName}"

I thought the registry value may have somehow been corrupted on my machine, so I checked my other machine (also running Windows 10), and it too contained "Windows.UI.PrintDialog" in the DisplayName string, rather than "Windows.PrintDialog"

What may have caused this issue on both my machines? Or is this the default entry?

Could someone please shed some light on this?

Sunday, June 7, 2020 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hello SS_22,

Sorry for the late.

It is an issue of display name in the Registry. I've submitted it internally.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by SS_22 Friday, July 3, 2020 6:08 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2020 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hello SS_22,

I get the same result with yours.

The following API get the name is "PrintDialog".

SHLoadIndirectString(L"@{Windows.PrintDialog_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy?ms-resource://Windows.PrintDialog/Resources/DisplayName}",
    		name, sizeof(name), NULL);

This application is PrintDialog at C:\Windows\PrintDialog.

This result seems expected. So free feel to go ahead.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 8, 2020 6:59 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I also noticed that there's a Windows.UI.PrintDialog folder at C:\Windows\SystemResources\Windows.UI.PrintDialog

Is there any reason why the registry says "Windows.UI.PrintDialog" instead of "Windows.PrintDialog"? Or is it just a mistake?

Monday, June 8, 2020 12:10 PM
  • Hello SS_22,

>>>The value for DisplayName is "@{Windows.PrintDialog_6.2.1.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy?ms-resource://Windows.UI.PrintDialog/Resources/DisplayName}"

It is in the format of @{PackageFullName?resource}. The string is extracted from the Resources.pri file stored in the app's root directory of the package identified by PackageFullName, using the resource as a locator. 

So the "PrintDialog" string is extracted from the resources.pri file at the following path:

Instead of Windows.UI.PrintDialog.pri file at C:\Windows\SystemResources\Windows.UI.PrintDialog.

However, about why the display name in Registry contains ".UI" I'll consult the related engineer for helping.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 8:55 AM
  • >> However, about why the display name in Registry contains ".UI" I'll consult the related engineer for helping.

That would be helpful, thanks.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 10:19 PM
  • Any update on this?
    Friday, June 19, 2020 7:50 PM
  • Hello SS_22,

Sorry for the late.

It is an issue of display name in the Registry. I've submitted it internally.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by SS_22 Friday, July 3, 2020 6:08 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2020 6:27 AM
  • Alright, thanks for the help.
    Friday, July 3, 2020 6:08 AM