Building Biztalk solution is killing the VD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

When ever i try to build the  biztalk solution, VS2010 is not responding and CPU, memory utilization going  to 100%.

Any insight?

Met vriendelijke groet / Best Regards,
    ir. Poojith Jain | Biztalk Developer
    Biztalk and me
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:08 PM

Answers

• Turn off all antivirus software.
    The BizTalk+SQL system is much more stable if you use Windows Server. Its garbage collector optimized for the server tasks. Check if the System properties / Advanced properties / Performance Settings...

Adjust the best performance not of Programs but of the Background services

If nothing helps I suggest to reinstall the system from scratch. It is highly recommended if the system was installed by someone else not you.

Of course you can start to investigate the problem, but it takes more time then reistalling. :(

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalk: History of one project architecture
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:24 AM

All replies

• What are the specs on your pc. VS uses lots of memory I found. I ended up adding 4 gigs of ram and I have not had any problems with speed or memory since.
    Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:27 PM
  • I am not sure if memory is the problem, because we ever used 2GB memory VM for test, but didn't find anything strange.

Can you please try this on another machine? Or would you please have a check if there is any error/warning in event log? Or how about expanding the memory?

Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

I have installed Biztalk in Windows Vista (32 bit) and have  RAM of 4GB.

Both VS 2010 and Biztalk 2010 is evaluation edition.

Biztalk and me
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:42 PM
  • I would expect a BizTalk 2010 / VS 2010 VM to need 4 GB allocated to the VM and at least 8 GB physical RAM on the host. This is my configuration for my BizTalk 2010 VM (on VMWare). I am using BizTalk 2010 developer edition. Since developer edition is now free, why not use it?

I have fairly large solutions - usually 15-20 projects. To reduce RAM consumption I try to keep projects collapsed and as few items open as possible. I do still see some slowness from time-to-time. Builds are working quickly for me.

Some other hints: My virtual disk is set to 80 GB. If you are not using VMWare then I recommend booting to the VHD for better processor util.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Hi Poojith,

I ma using Virtual Box and have Vm with 4Gb allocated and 4 of 8 core's of my CPU. It BizTalk 2010 Developer Edition, VS 2010, SharePoint 2010 and is x64 environment. It is all working fine. It depends I think more on hardware you are running on and having VM on Solid-State helps a lot. By the way I did not know you speak any dutch.

HTH

Met vriendelijke groet,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Turn off all antivirus software.
    The BizTalk+SQL system is much more stable if you use Windows Server. Its garbage collector optimized for the server tasks. Check if the System properties / Advanced properties / Performance Settings...

Adjust the best performance not of Programs but of the Background services

If nothing helps I suggest to reinstall the system from scratch. It is highly recommended if the system was installed by someone else not you.

Of course you can start to investigate the problem, but it takes more time then reistalling. :(

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalk: History of one project architecture
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Hoi Steef,

Compared to your  hardware  configuration mine  is  very bad. Let me have  a look into  it.

Then i speak very basic  dutch and understand it well. I heard lot about you through my colleagues.

Thanks  a lot  for  all the help.

Biztalk and me
    Friday, January 14, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

Points Leonid made are very useful and you find more on net through for instance scott hanselman (this post). Most important factor is disk. Another option is asking Dick Dijkstra for a better machine :)

Cheers,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/

BizTalk
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:55 AM