none
One Server AD, Exchange & MS-SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Is it possible to run AD, File Sharing, Exchange and MS-SQL all on one Xeon server with 2GB RAM? Beside the obvious that all the eggs are in one basket.

This is for a small environment with only 30 users.

My concern is that there are some conflict running all those application on one server.

TIA

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:21 PM

All replies

• I am not an infrastructure expert - but I would expect them all to install

I would say though that you will probably run into performance problems - 2GB hardly seems enough - plus you didn't specify the storage you use, but I am guessing you do not have a SAN attached to that server - in which case the IO is more than likely will kill you (Exchange, SQL and file-sharing generate a lot of IO..)

Nevertheless - the best thing to do would be to test. setting up a test machine and a simple load test shouldn't take more that 2-3 days of work (1-1.5 days installations and 1-1.5 days of testing)

Arnon

Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:29 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft have a product named Small Business Server 2003 which you can find the features here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/evaluation/features/default.mspx.

As regarding my experience you can use that all products in one box. But, sometimes 30 clients may need more file space or have big mailboxes, so you may need more and more hard disk capacity or memory on your server box. If you don't want to face with big disasters or unwanted behaviours with your system, i may advice you to move SQL Server and File Server functionality to a another server.

Best Regards,

Ayhan ERGENC

MCP,MCSA,MCAD,MCDBA

Monday, May 29, 2006 7:57 AM