none
Can Test Agent 2013 Update 5 and agent 2015 Update 3 coexist on same machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a test machine that needs to support some of our legacy tests for VS 2013 and also new test projects using VS 2015.  The tests are executed under TFS 2015 builds.  Can I run both the VS 2013 and VS 2015 test agents on the same computer?  Right now I am having difficulties getting this to work.  The VS 2013 test agent service will not start if the VS 2015 test agent is installed.

• Edited by Ken Varn Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi KenVarn,

Sorry for delay in reply.

I feel so sorry this issue brought you such inconvenience.

If possible, we recommend you could use them in different machines or you could also upgrade to tfs 2017 with test agent 2017 for your project if the legacy could work with them.

The agent 2017 contains the all functions of agent 2013 and 2015, please refer more here: Test Controller, Test Agent versions and their usage in different scenarios

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:04 AM

All replies

• Hi KenVarn,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Based on your description, please refer this answer to check if "Run in Parallel" is enabled.

And as far as I know, VS 2013 agent is compatible with vs2015 and tfs 2015. we suggest you could just install VS2013 agent in your test machine. please refer more from the DOC.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi KenVarn,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Based on your description, please refer this answer to check if "Run in Parallel" is enabled.

And as far as I know, VS 2013 agent is compatible with vs2015 and tfs 2015. we suggest you could just install VS2013 agent in your test machine. please refer more from the DOC.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Dylan, I am not running tests in parallel.  Currently the problem is with installation.  For some reason, the VS 2013 Test Agent service does not start if both agents (2013, and 2015) are installed.  This usually occurs when I try to register the VS 2013 agent with the test controller.  Also, I get some warning in the Deploy TestAgent task in vNext - [warning]DistributedTests: You may be using machine 'xcc-testagent:5985' across one or more concurrent builds.

If I uninstall the VS 2015 agent and then re-install the VS 2013 agent, I can run my legacy tests, but as soon as I run the vNext tests with the 2015 agent being deployed, the 2013 agent service has issues and will not start on the next reboot of the machine.  It seems like these two agents do not play nice together.

• Edited by Ken Varn Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:41 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:39 PM
  • Hi Ken Varn,

Thank you for reply.

After my research, I found one similar issue. From this issue, the VS 2015 agent is not compatible with VS2010 agent, so it seems that VS 2015 agent is not very compatible with previous versions, and VS2013 could work with VS2015. 

And from official DOC, we recommend to just use VS2013 agents with tfs2015 in you test machine.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Dylan,

Are you suggesting that only use VS 2013 agent with TFS 2015?  If so, that is a problem since I use Run Functional Tests, which require the Test Agent Deployment step.  The Test Agent Deployment step sends down the VS 2015 agent to the test machine and installs it.  This is why the conflict occurs with VS 2013 agent and VS 2015 agent.  If I try to use Run Functional Tests without the Deploy step, the run will not be performed.  

I know that TFS also has the Visual Studio Test step, but we can't use it because it does not support automated Test Suites, which is crucial to our testing environment.

Ken

Friday, August 9, 2019 12:46 PM
  • Hi KenVarn,

Sorry for delay in reply.

I feel so sorry this issue brought you such inconvenience.

If possible, we recommend you could use them in different machines or you could also upgrade to tfs 2017 with test agent 2017 for your project if the legacy could work with them.

The agent 2017 contains the all functions of agent 2013 and 2015, please refer more here: Test Controller, Test Agent versions and their usage in different scenarios

Best Regards,

Dylan

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:04 AM
  • I would love to upgrade to TFS 2017.  Unfortunately that is not my call.  I have made many requests to our IT department to upgrade, but so far they are not giving it much priority.  

I have had to deal with many shortcomings of TFS 2015 that are fixed in TFS 2017.  It has been a struggle to say the least, and this issue just adds to it. 

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 12:34 PM
  • Hi Ken Varn,

Thank you for reply.

As your description, upgrading seems to be inconvenience for you. For you better using them, I have post it to product team,

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/693474/test-agent-2013-update-5-and-agent-2015-update-3-c.html

Then you could vote it and offer more details under it, then please be patient waiting for response from vs product team and the next update for agent 15.

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 5:51 AM
  • Thanks Dylan!   I appreciate that.
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:35 PM
  • Hi Ken Varn,

You are welcome. If you have other issue about usage tool for VS IDE, please feel free to contact us, we will try our best to provide a solution.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Friday, August 16, 2019 6:38 AM