none
Visual Studio 2015 SP 2 Database Project connectivity to Azure Sql >>> Error

Question

• I have VS 2015 Service Pack 1 on my desktop and VS 2015 Service Pack 2 on my Surface Pro 4. I have a database project that connects to Azure Sql for comparisons.  On VS 2015 SP 1, the comparison works fine. The select database /login is slightly different from the newer SP2 version. When I try a comparison with the VS 2015 SP 2 version it connects to my Azure database but on the bottom left corner I immediately get an error: "Source is unavailable: MyDatabaseName".  This has only started since I upgraded to VS 2015 SP2.  When I look at the details for the connection to Azure, it says Authentication = Not Specified.  I can change that in the dropdown to SqlPassword but that doesn't help and the next time in it still says "Not Specified" like the UI doesn't save the change.  Also my connectivity thru VS via Sql Server Object Explorer works fine as well as connectivity thru SSMS. Anybody got any ideas on how to get by this problem?  I have tried everything obvious. 

Also to note, it works fine with SqlExpress 2014.

• Edited by HolderSM Tuesday, May 03, 2016 9:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 03, 2016 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hi HolderSM,

According to your description, I create a sample SQL Server project with Visual Studio 2015 Update 2. And then right-click the project to Import Database from Azure Sql. After I choose SQL Server Authentication and type the authentication information (please checked the "Remember Password"), the database content start to import to my SQL Server project.

After I close the project and reopen it, it still connect to the database without any error message. If my steps are different with yours, please feel free to let me know how can I reproduce your problem.

Since this problem just occurs with Azure sql, please check whether there has any updates for Azure SDK from Tools -> Extensions and Updates -> Updates.

If has installed the latest update, please try run your Visual Studio in safe mode to check whether this problem caused by third part extensions and packages for Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 7:30 AM