none
Why do I need Microsoft .Net Framework? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am not a computer know it all, and this stuff is very foreign to me, but I was wondering why I need .Net Framework? From what I have been reading from the forums it's a program to help you make applications, if I am correct. I don't do any of that. I just use it at home. I have Framework 1.1, framework 2.0 service pack 2, framework 3.0 service pack 2 and framework 3.5 SP1. Can I remove these items so i can get more space on my computer? I bought this computer from my employer, if that helps at all. Thank you for helping me with this..

Carol

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:57 PM

Answers

• You need .NET Frameworks to provide managed environments for the Windows applications you use daily.

Removing any .NET Frameworks or updates will likely result in programs you have installed NOT working.

You should also know that .NET Framework version numbers 2.0, 3.0 , 3.5 and any updates are all part of ONE full framework (2.0 is the base, and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions of 2.0). Therefore you cannot, for example, remove 2.0 and keep 3.5.

From your list, it appears that you have two frameworks installed, 1.1 and 2.0/3.0/3.5. Unfortunately, only the publishers of the programs you use can tell you which .NET Framework versions they require. I don't recommend that you try to remove any of the packages you listed

To find ways to safely recover disc space on your computer, please ask in the forums for your Windows version, here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:50 PM