problem in the activation of Xamarin RRS feed

• Question

• User15501 posted

I'm having problems activating Xamarin in visual studio . The Xamarin asks to activate, then I go to my account and it starts activating , it asks to restart visual studio visual studio and then when it opens , it starts activation again and restart visual studio and restart again .. infinite times .

It all started in the business when I had to reinstall windows on the machine that I work with in developing Xamarin and ultilizei Xamarin my account on another machine . Then when my first machine returned to normal functioning , visual studio installed , downloaded the SDK libraries , so I try to enter my account and starts giving the problem I mentioned above.

Also already deactivated the license on the website of Xamarin , existed three licenses , including my computer before reinstalling windows , I disabled the 3 and rebooted with the account Xamarin in visual studio . The problem continues . The machine I reinstalled windows continues with the same name .

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:47 PM

All replies

• User26121 posted

Same here. Maybe the activation server took an arrow in the knee...

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:54 PM
  • User11911 posted

I also got problems this morning after upgrading to 4.2... It shows tons of "timeout" messages when trying to activate.

after going back to 4.0.xx it claims my license expired. While I am over the 12 monthes of updates I so far thought the license is forever and I am just excluded of updates! Was that "detail" changed without me noticing?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:08 PM
  • User15501 posted

hello JensLindenberg,

you installed the version 4.0.xx and it worked? you said you had problem when installed with the license of Xamarin, I fear the same thing happen here, my license still has a few months.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:13 PM
  • User4726 posted

Same here...

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:15 PM
  • User11911 posted

I went back to 4.0.xx using time machine (mac os)... Doesn't work either :(

in the XamarinStudio4.2 changelog they say that the activation process changed from browser based to a XS internal solution. therefore I thought it might work going back to an older version...

I am sitting here and nothing works... Don't know what to do... seems there are others with activation problems :(

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:18 PM
  • User15501 posted

I've had problems with uninstall and reinstall another version of Xamarin, especially an earlier, generally gave axml render the problem ... I'll try to get back to last version 4.8.xa wearing this machine

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:20 PM
  • User15501 posted

I am installing this version http://download.xamarin.com/MonoforAndroid/Windows/mono-android-4.8.03015.msi

over again...

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:24 PM
  • User11911 posted

please keep us informed if it works... I go to lunch, maybe I can get some work done after that :-/

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:31 PM
  • User15501 posted

worked activation Xamarin when I installed version 4.8!!!

thank you !!!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:31 PM
  • User15501 posted

I'm using windows 7 with visual studio 2012

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:32 PM
  • User4726 posted

I installed the new update and it works! Hooray :). They removed the activation window, you have to login at your browser again.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:43 PM
  • User15501 posted

I can install this new version over the 4.8 and will not have problems?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:00 PM
  • User15501 posted

When I upgraded from 4.8 to 4.10 there was a problem in filling the dropdown list which shows the emulators and connected devices on the machine, I undid this facility, and to be working normal with 4.8 but there was a problem to render my axml not yet know what can be =/

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:18 PM
  • User19386 posted

I installed every last update for Xamarin.Android and iOS, I still have the issue, it says that I must connect to the internet to activate the licence. But ofc, I'm already connected.

See my other post : http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/10140

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:58 PM
  • User12 posted

Hi everyone,

We're having some intermittent issues with the activation service, which is what @ForceMagic is seeing and what @marcos.Icosta and @AntoineBecker were seeing earlier today.

We're working hard to get it back up and running smoothly, thank you all for your patience.

PJ

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:14 PM
  • User1820 posted

same issue here..nightmare!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:35 PM
  • User26109 posted

Having the same problem. It keeps telling me to connect to the internet.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:40 PM
  • User28363 posted

Ditto.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:48 PM
  • User14946 posted

Ok, looks like its backup and running...just logged in and activated ok. However, this worries me? I CANNOT use this software unless connected to the internet?? I sometimes work disconnected, I just tried activating, shutting down XS then pulling the plug and restarting XS and its back to Starter edition, guys this cant be right? I at least need a day or two of offline use before another activation! I suppose this could be related to the Activation server.

Edit... Ok looks like theres a hotfix coming out to resolve this.. https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16199 Got me worried then, I dev on the laptop a lot disconnected.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:05 PM
  • User28 posted

The new activation system does periodically check the license against our activation servers to make sure it's up to date - for example, if you renew on the Xamarin Store, your IDEs will get the license expiry updated automatically.

However, it does still support offline use - if the server cannot be reached, then it skips the check and continues to use the license you have on disk.

Unfortunately, an outage in the activation server today triggered an bug in the IDE activation code that caused it to delete the local license files. We've fixed the server issue in the server, and we're in the process of making a hotfix for the IDEs so that they won't deactivate if there's another server outage.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:45 PM
  • User20286 posted

Activation is crashing my Visual Studio. Just got everything up to date. Each time I login to Xamarin, it crashes.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:48 PM
  • User20286 posted

Getting this error when trying to activate. Please help.

System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.GetErrorWorkflow(LicenseSyncResult[] results, Boolean ignoreSyncErrors) at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.d8a.MoveNext() at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.DisplayWorkflowStep(ActivationWorkflowStep step) at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.<>cDisplayClass13.b__12(Task t)

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:51 PM
  • User14946 posted

No worries Mic thanks for your help. I can only assume its been "organised chaos" at Xamarin HQ the last few hours...can I suggest a good double bourbon and coke for stress relief...lol.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:18 PM
  • User1082 posted

How long is the offline grace period?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:18 PM
  • User28 posted

@RichW: Currently it's valid until the license expires.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:52 PM
  • User28 posted

@BrettAnthony: thanks, sorry for the inconvenience!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:53 PM
  • User28 posted

@SpoiledTechie: are you still having that issue? We've made some fixes to the activation server.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:44 PM
  • User20286 posted

@mhutch yes I am. Now, its not even letting me login to the activation server....

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:28 AM
  • User25476 posted

Problem still persists

Xamarin.Components.Ide.ApiClients.ActivationException: Missing data. at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.GetErrorWorkflow(LicenseSyncResult[] results, Boolean ignoreSyncErrors) at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.d8a.MoveNext() at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.DisplayWorkflowStep(ActivationWorkflowStep step) at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.<>cDisplayClass13.b__12(Task t)

Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:23 AM
  • User2208 posted

Also experiencing the same problem as RoyDeisting

Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:49 AM
  • User19283 posted

I'm using Windows8x64 + VS2012 + Xamarin(iOS + Android) and the activation has been done.

All was Ok until this morning a prompt ask me to Update Xamarin.iOS (1.8.361) and Xamarin.Android (4.10.1) : - Click to Download (Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS in the same Time) - Click to install (Xamarin.Android in first) - Restart...

When VS restarted, an error dialog appear (image attached, sorry I'm in French version ;-)) And after this first error, the "Xamarin Activation" form opens : I submit my account informations and the error you describe on this topic :

Xamarin.Components.Ide.ApiClients.ActivationException: Missing data. à Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.GetErrorWorkflow(LicenseSyncResult[] results, Boolean ignoreSyncErrors) à Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService

And now I can't develop (Android Project and iOS project "error incompatible") and Xamarin Activation down....

Next time, I'll do a snapshot of my VM before doing any update of Xamarin components !

Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:31 PM
  • User168 posted

Roswell,

Friend those are constant problems.

In a year, I can tell you that half the time in development was to solve problems in Xamarin than to develop the system. Regrettably they rush to release updates to stay equal to the SDK (iOS, Android), but leave out little things that are constant and make the developer to solve by reinstalling or restarting or other crazy things over.

I can tell you that I reached the point of stopping a stay three months because he could not develop in MonoDevelop because the double quotes did not work. I had to keep copying from notepad to MonoDevelop. This bug was in MonoDevelop for more than one year (there are reported the bug).

Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:57 PM
  • User18 posted

Hi @Garek @BernhardGlueck @Roswell

I'm sorry that you are running into an activation error. We believe that this is caused by only one of the two extensions updating properly.

You should be able to get everything set up properly by updating both plugins. Here are direct links to the stable builds:

Xamarin.iOS for Visual Studio 1.8: http://download.xamarin.com/MonoTouchforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.iOSSetup-1.8.361.0signed.msi

Xamarin.Android 4.10.1 - http://download.xamarin.com/MonoforAndroid/Windows/mono-android-4.10.01068_signed.msi

If after updating the error message remains, we'll need to take a further look at the issue. Can you get the versioning information about which versions of the extensions are installed by navigating to Visual Studio->Tools->Extensions and Updates. Please then e-mail them into contact@xamarin.com for further assistance. Thanks!

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:21 PM
  • User19283 posted

Hi @AllieMiller,

Thanks for your quick response, but unfortunatly it doesn't work...

I've download your direct links and reinstall these two plugins.

When I launch VisualStudio, all is OK and I can get the versions of these plugins (VS->Tools->Extension and Updates).

But when I open my CrossPlatform Solution, the form "please login with your Xamarin Account pops-up... and I don't get the time to enter my logins that VS show me an error (attached) and restart... and I try again and the same...

What can I Do ?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:22 PM
  • User19283 posted

Ok, I resolved...

I created a new iOS project -> the Xamarin Account Login pop-up and no VS errors... So I logued-in and delete the project.

Now I can open my crossplatform solution !!!

Pffiouuuu... what a work :-)

Thanks @AllieMiller.

Ps : I had to re-match my MacHostBuild too...

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:43 PM
  • User26109 posted

I'm still having this error: Xamarin.Components.Ide.ApiClients.ActivationException: Missing data. at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.GetErrorWorkflow(LicenseSyncResult[] results, Boolean ignoreSyncErrors) at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.d8a.MoveNext() at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.DisplayWorkflowStep(ActivationWorkflowStep step) at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.<>cDisplayClass13.b__12(Task t)

I have been unable to develop for the last day because of it and have a deadline. Is there anyway to download the license and put it in the correct location manually?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:01 PM
  • User28 posted

@Garek, @BernhardGlueck: It sounds like you're using VS, and one of the Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.Android addins has been updated but the other has not. Could you please try reinstalling both XA and XI?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:41 PM
  • User8398 posted

I am trying to activate my windows machine (in vs2013) it is telling me that too many machine are activated... If I go to deactivate computer, I have none showing up!!!!

Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:59 PM
  • User20286 posted

I LOST a full day because of this problem. Couldn't develop on iOS or Android at ALL yesterday. @mhutch, no offense but time is MONEY. Can you guys please look into only requiring activation if we build/publish the app? I should still be FULLY capable of typing code out and yesterday sadly, I wasn't.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:29 PM
  • User28 posted

@SpoiledTechie: I'm very sorry about the activation server downtime and the client-side deactivation bug that it triggered. We are doing our best to make sure that this does not happen again.

VS support is one of the major features of Business edition, so it requires activation, else it would be possible to use an Indie license to edit a project in VS and build it XS. However, you can edit in XS without any activation at all.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:43 PM
  • User20286 posted

@mhutch, I realize the need to have it activated. Really, I do being a developer my self. While I am okay with that, I would truly LOVE for you to look into other options as well. Just to get you an idea, your activation server seems to have caused over 50 developers "Stop Work" and that shouldn't ever happen. We both understand time is money. I just need you to at least think about other options please. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:46 PM
  • User28 posted

@SpoiledTechie: We do understand that this is extremely important and the system was designed and tested to allow activated installations to work offline and when the activation server was unavailable. Unfortunately the activation server misbehaved under heavy load in a specific way that we had not anticipated, and triggered a bug in the client that deactivated licenses. We have already fixed the server and we're in the process of testing hotfixes for the clients, which should be rolled out very soon.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:51 PM
  • User20286 posted

@mhutch thank you. Thats what I wanted to hear. Maybe you need to have a status page for Xamarin functions. Like an Up/Down status page for all the services that is shown to the public. Just a thought.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:58 PM
  • User28 posted

Good idea, I'll mention it to our web team!

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:06 PM
  • User7 posted

@patlaplante You should be all set now, please try again—there was an oddity with your account that was causing the server to return an erroneous error message. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:16 PM
  • User1302 posted

I can't activate business account in vs2013 after update to lastet version of xamarin: Too many machines are using your xamarin subscription

I tried to deactivate and reactivate this machine but not work. Paste screenshots.

Edit: in vs2012 does not work, in xamarin studio work perfectly.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:05 PM
  • User32902 posted

I just hit this. I moved my Mac and Windows machines to a new location. Fired up the build server on the Mac without an issue. Ran Visual Studio and got a "Too many machines are using your Xamarin subscription". Of course it helpfully offers to show me the active machines so I can deactivate one, and exactly the two machines that have always been activated (including the one it's freaking out on) are listed. And it's repeating the "failed to update Android license" and "failed to updated iOS license" repeatedly in the output window.

So just for fun, I deactivate the machine that I'm on, and then Xamarin re-activates it, and it seems to work. Did it really never occur to anyone at Xamarin that people might move their machines and connect from a different location from time to time? If I have to do this every time I move (say from "work" to "home"), I'm going to consider that a giant fail.

Monday, December 30, 2013 7:05 AM
  • User34948 posted

I am getting the below error while, using xamarin.android with vs requires business edition or higher.

at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.RunWorkflows(IEnumerable1 workflows, Object parentWindow) at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.AuthorizeFeatures(Object parentWindow, IList1 features) at Mono.VisualStudio.Shell.ShellPackage.AsynchronouslyUnloadProjects() at Mono.VisualStudio.Shell.ShellPackage.b3() at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame) at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox) at System.Windows.Window.Show() at System.Windows.Window.ShowDialog() at Xwt.WPFBackend.DialogBackend.RunLoop(IWindowFrameBackend parent) at Xwt.Dialog.<>cDisplayClass1.b0() at Xwt.Toolkit.InvokePlatformCode(Action a) at Xwt.Dialog.Run(WindowFrame parent) at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationDialog.RunWorkflows(IEnumerable1 workflows, Object parentWindow) at Xamarin.Components.Ide.Activation.ActivationService.AuthorizeFeatures(Object parentWindow, IList1 features) at Mono.VisualStudio.Shell.ShellPackage.AsynchronouslyUnloadProjects() at Mono.VisualStudio.Shell.ShellPackage.b3() at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

Monday, February 10, 2014 6:38 AM
  • User9168 posted

Hi Xamarin team ,

We got below error in Xamarin ios

We got
    @"" unexpected end of file. following elements are not closed cookie, Security token ""@ ,

when i was loading the webview and save the cookie and using that cookie getting data from server , Xamarin ios Every time cookes changed

Please find the screen shot

Friday, June 6, 2014 1:03 PM
  • User39687 posted

I have this problem for one full day.. back again... still not rectified????

I am able to activate and deactivate subscription on a MAC machine

But on windows machine I keep getting " too many machine are activated".. after a number of retires doing install/uninstall.

Some help needed

Using : Xamarin.VisualStudio_Setup-3.3.47.msi

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 12:12 PM