none
How do I reinstall HTML Help Workshop?

Question

• Hello,

I have this folder installed on my system: "C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop".  There are no other folders below it.

This article says that I should have a "Lib" and "Include" folder under that folder: Here

If I attempt to download the HTML Help Workshop to reinstall it from here: Here and select the three files and go through some other screens, it installs a Help folder in the Windows folder with a bunch of files in it and none of them are HtmlHelp.lib or HtmlHelp.h.

How do I get the Lib and Include folders in my HTML Help Workshop folder?

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Friday, August 05, 2016 8:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Carneno,

If there is no "HTML Help Workshop" in your Programs and Features, which means you are not installed HTML Help Workshop on your machine.

When you click the Download button, please just choose the first file which named "htmlhelp.exe" and run it to install the HTML Help Workshop.

The second file is just the document zip file for the HTML Help Workshop, it is not a executable file. And the third file I also tried in my side, I get the same result which is not install the HTML Help Workshop.

So please choose the first one file "htmlhelp.exe", which can let us install the HTML Help Workshop successful in our machine.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 12:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Carneno,

According to your description, I download the htmlhelp.exe file from the second link you provided and run it to install. When installing, it prompt me I have newer version of HTML Help installed on my computer. But when I click OK button, it tell me the HTML Help Workshop install complete.

Then I check the path of C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop, there has Lib and include folders listed in that path and the Htmlhelp.lib, Htmlhelp.h are stored in that path.

If you have installed HTML Help Workshop before, please uninstall it from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> HTML Help Workshop. Then reinstall it again. Please make sure you are running the exe file as administrator.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, August 08, 2016 6:08 AM
  • Weiwei,

Thanks for your help.

When I try that link it gives me the Download button.  I click that and it gives me a Choose screen to click on three other options for HtmlHelp files to be downloaded.  I select all three and click Next.  It then gives this screen:

If I wait a while, it finally gives me the install screen to install HtmlHelp Workshop files.  The first time I did this, I did not wait and clicked on the OK button for the above message screen.  I think that is where it did something I was not expecting.

>> If you have installed HTML Help Workshop before, please uninstall it from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> HTML Help Workshop. <<

There is no "HTML Help Workshop" in my Programs and Features.

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Monday, August 08, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

If there is no "HTML Help Workshop" in your Programs and Features, which means you are not installed HTML Help Workshop on your machine.

When you click the Download button, please just choose the first file which named "htmlhelp.exe" and run it to install the HTML Help Workshop.

The second file is just the document zip file for the HTML Help Workshop, it is not a executable file. And the third file I also tried in my side, I get the same result which is not install the HTML Help Workshop.

So please choose the first one file "htmlhelp.exe", which can let us install the HTML Help Workshop successful in our machine.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 12:42 AM
  • Weiwei,

Yes, that worked.  I now have the folders and files I expected.

Thanks,
    Tony

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 1:32 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

I'm glad that you have resolved your issue. Please mark the helpful reply as answer which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any questions about Visual Studio IDE in future, please feel free to come back creating new thread on our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:42 AM