none
VSTO Express won't open my project? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VSTO project developed in VSTO 2010 (full version) I now don't have access to that software, so I downloaded VSTO Express 2013, which then couldn't open the project, so I tried VSTO Express 2010 and that wouldn't open the project either. Do I eed to buy a full version? The project is an Outlook add-in developed for office 2010.

I am ultimately looking to develop add-ins for office 2010 (outlook 2010 mainly) and also find that the templates for these don't exisit in the VSTO Express 2013 edition?

Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The Express edition of Visual Studio is not supported by VSTO. You need to use any paid edition of Visual Studio - Professional, Premium, Ultimate.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The Express edition of Visual Studio is not supported by VSTO. You need to use any paid edition of Visual Studio - Professional, Premium, Ultimate.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Doesn't the recently released VS Community edition with the VSTO option work as well? or am I missing something.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Good question. There is no such information yet, nor I tested it. But based on the following information:

Q: How does Visual Studio Community 2013 compare to other Visual Studio editions? 
    A: Visual Studio Community 2013 includes all the great functionality of Visual Studio Professional 2013, designed and optimized for individual developers, students, open source contributors, and small teams.

It should support creating add-ins.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 4:12 PM
  • I have not fully tested it by creating an add-in yet, You do have to download the Office tools to be able to get the templates, but they are available for .Net 4.0 & 4.5 once installed. Just found the community edition yesterday and did a search for making Office add-ins with VS 2013.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 4:17 PM