Window message when an program is install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm research to disallow user install other programs.

I thinks i will write an window driver and register a callback.

But i don't know register which event  and which message window will throw.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:12 AM

Answers

• You do not need any driver or callbacks, you only need to restrict the user accout. The best example for thisi s Windows Vista / 7 / 8 UAC. If you do not have an administration account you can not install software.

Non-admin users can install programs into their local directory like %localappdata% (obviously there is no specific "message" for this. You can just copy the files or use deployment tools like NuGet/Chocolatey etc).

But running these apps can be restricted via policy.

-- pa

• Marked as answer by Elegentin Xie Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Elegentin Xie Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Elegentin Xie Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elegentin Xie Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:41 AM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:11 PM

All replies

• You do not need any driver or callbacks, you only need to restrict the user accout. The best example for thisi s Windows Vista / 7 / 8 UAC. If you do not have an administration account you can not install software.

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:48 AM
  • I know this. But i want to write a program which limit the ability to install applications. If user has correct key/password he install application
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:50 PM
  • But i want to write a program which limit the ability to install applications. If user has correct key/password he install application

If he knows the password of an Administrator account, he can do anything, including removing your software driver.

If you truly don't want the user to install software, don't give him an Adminstrator account/password.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:17 PM