Statistics on a Column question RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on an app that needs to run statistics on data.  A lot of data.  The data lives in one table, but each calculation may require one or more fields from each row.  There may be as many as 5 million rows.  The stats will need to be repeatedly run, whenever even one of those 5 million records changes.  That part is done manually by a human so it wont happen that often but the concept of rerunning those stats is important.

So rather than pull out 5 million records to a C# app and do the stats there, I was hoping there was some way to have SQL server do some (or preferrably all) of this work for me.

A colleague of mine mentioned that he thought that there was a way to write stored procs in C#- which would be great... as I think I could write these algorithms/statistics there, but I cant seem to find any info on it.  All search results point to how to access a stored procedure from C# which I already know how to do.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Or offer any other insights?  Thanks!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:22 PM

Answers

• Answered my own question- looks like SQL CLR is exactly what I am looking for.

Cool!

• Marked as answer by BryanCC Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:55 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:54 PM