Printing MSDN articles without expanded links RRS feed

• Question

• I know this has been discussed before, but it hasn't been addressed/fixed/changed.  An article can have the same term as a hyperlink dozens of times, and every instance shows up with the URL in brackets when the article is printed.  The results: printed articles are almost unreadable.

Take a look at this article

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb399399.aspx

and then see how completely UNREADABLE it is in print.  The word DataSet apears as a hyperlink about 25 times and EVERY ONE OF THEM IS EXPANDED

The best solution may be to give two print options 1) with expanded hyperlink, and 2) without URL expansion

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:12 PM

All replies

• It seems that something may have been done just recently concerning this! I was about to reply that I totally agree with Duke Carey's post when I noticed that the class definition I had just printed was different - it now has footnote citations to a list at the end of the document*... This is a great help to me, as I was wasting way too much paper and ink printing unnecessary references; now I can preview the print document and only print the pages prior to the link table at the end!

* There is one drawback: Community Content is placed after the link table, so if I should want to print the entire document without the footnotes, I will have to print the section before the links and the section after them separately. IMHO, it would be great to have an option to print in the manner that Duke Carey suggested; however, this is still far better than the previous (inline link reference) format!

Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Oh, be still my beating heart!  What a huge improvement.  Thanks for alerting me to this 'fix.'
    Monday, February 7, 2011 7:00 PM