Unable to connect to a SQL SERVER 2014 instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've got SQL Express ed. 2005, and SMS 2005 with one DB instance. It works fine, in XP environment. 

Issue is when I need to move this database to a win 7 computer, more powerful. I download SSMS 2014 and SQL Server 2014,and exported the database. Firewall is down.

There are two options for connecting (both are not functioning):

1. In the local network

ODBC 32-64 Don't see the sql server.

2. Through VPN

ODBC 32-64 Don't see the sql server.

What could be the issue? There is no confussion with users and nothing belonging to the firewall. From the win7 computer, if I add a new odbc connection it detects succesfully the database and the local server.

Jordi Maicas

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

SQL Server Express requires the SQL Server Browser Services to be enabled and started, because this service allows discovery of named instances and Express installs by default as named instance.

For more suggestions about how to troubleshoot connection issues please read the following resource:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2102.how-to-troubleshoot-connecting-to-the-sql-server-database-engine.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:15 AM
  • Hi Jordixip2,

Firstly, could you please describe more details about your scenario? We need to know how you establish the connection to SQL Server 2014 and the full error message you get. If you only want to connect to your SQL Server 2014 via SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS) from another computer, you don’t need to set ODBC data source at all, just enter the connection information in SSMS.

However, if you persist to use ODBC, by “Don’t see the sql server” I’m assuming you mean letting the ODBC wizard to list the servers so you can pick from it. If that’s the case, here’re some proposals for you:
    1.If you’re using SQL Server driver to create new data source, try use SQL Server Native client driver instead, and also make sure the Native Client driver is version 11.0 so you can connect to SQL Server 2014.
    2.Ensure that your operating system is compatible with SQL Server Native Client. For more information, please review this article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280356.aspx.

There is also a similar thread  for your reference.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4a52ae68-efdd-459c-89e6-4c2d1f4b7906/sql-native-client-vs-sql-server?forum=sqldataaccess .

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Lin

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:48 AM
  • In addition, look into ERROR.LOG to see what port SQL Server is listening to (SQL Browser must be running)

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:23 AM
  • I'll check it and I told you.... 

Jordi Maicas

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:20 PM
  • I've got a c# app, that doesn't use odbc connection  at all; but for my surprise, the lan computer have configure an odbc connection. Both, the program works fine, and the odbc connection detects de sql server. These comments, using SSMS 2005, and SQL 2005 Express Ed.

Issue is in Win7 64 bits with SMS 2014, and SQL Server Express ed. I imported succesfully the database. 

This win7 computer is connected to a vpn, and when I try to connect from my home computer (connected to the vpn), I've have two options:

1. Try connect with a simple application in C# that tries connecting to the database. Result: Doesn't detect the server. BUT, if I see the log, I see that SQL Server, detect and confirms that I has connected succesfully.

2. Try connect creating a simple odb connection. ODBC tell me that issues could be, SQL Server not found, or invalid credentials.

Firewall is closed, but with SQL Server port open.

Jordi Maicas

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:24 PM
  • Hi!

SQL Server Browser services was disabled. I started... I told you in an hours if I cold establish the connection successfully.

Jordi Maicas

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Hello,

the same issue. I tried to attach some documents here but I can't.

Any more ideas?

Thank you.

Jordi Maicas

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Hi Jordixip2,

You can upload your log to OneDrive and share the link so we can see it.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:27 AM