none
Microsoft Word Plus 2010 does not show up in DCOM config on Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are trying to use Office Automation with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

Office: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 32-bit.

We are trying to run DCOM config to grant permission to our ASP.Net MVC Web Application, but we could not see any Microsoft Office components in DCOM config. We have tried mmc comexp.msc /32 as suggested on this page http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2012/11/12/microsoft-excel-does-not-appear-in-dcom-configuration-snap-in.aspx. Rebooted server several times, but still don't see any microsoft office components.

Our app is still working on our developer's machine which uses Microsoft Office Standard 2010.

After deployed to our test server configured as above, we get this message "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80080005 Server execution failed (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80080005 (CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE)). "

Could you help us how to grant permission to Word component on the server in this case?

Thank you.

/Tim

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

I failed to reproduce your issue in my lab environment (Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Office 2010 SP1 Professional Plus 2010 installed).

Please ensure the Office 2010 is installed successfully in the Windows Serer 2012 and check whether the registry entry “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}” is existing.

If not, please try to register it manually via the command below:

WINWORD.EXE –REGSERVER

Hope it will help.

By the way, as KB Considerations for server-side Automation of Office wrote:

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

For server side automation, I suggest you using OpenXML SDK.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 15, 2014 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

I failed to reproduce your issue in my lab environment (Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Office 2010 SP1 Professional Plus 2010 installed).

Please ensure the Office 2010 is installed successfully in the Windows Serer 2012 and check whether the registry entry “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}” is existing.

If not, please try to register it manually via the command below:

WINWORD.EXE –REGSERVER

Hope it will help.

By the way, as KB Considerations for server-side Automation of Office wrote:

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

For server side automation, I suggest you using OpenXML SDK.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 15, 2014 8:49 AM
  • Hi Jeffery,

Thank you for your response. I checked the registry as you suggested and it was not there. I ran Winword.exe -Regserver and Winword opened an empty document. However I still didn't see the registry key that you mentioned "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}” .

Anyway, we will look at your suggested alternative OpenXML. It looks like a better options for us.

Thank you.

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:49 PM