none
How do I change the value of a label with a timer without getting a "Cross-thread operation not valid" error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create a basic idle game like program in a visual studio form using visual basic, but every time that I try to run my program it gives me an error saying "System.InvalidOperationException: 'Cross-thread operation not valid: Control 'PointCounter' accessed from a thread other than the thread it was created on.'" I have the timer initialized when the form loads

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            ' initalizes timer
            TimerGameTick = New Timer(100)

TimerGameTick.Enabled = True

TimerGameTick.AutoReset = True
            TimerGameTick.Start()
    End Sub

and I have an event set up for the timer

Public Sub OnTimedEvent(source As Object, e As System.Timers.ElapsedEventArgs)
            IntPoints = IntPoints + IntPointsPerSecond
            UpdateScore()
        End Sub

and UpdateScore() is

Public Sub UpdateScore()
            PointCounter.Text = "Click Points: " + IntPoints.ToString
        End Sub

any Idea what I can do to fix this?

Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:18 PM

Answers

• Either switch to a System.Windows.Forms.Timer component, which will raise its event on the main thread, or modify your code to use a call to Invoke from the main form to execute the code that interacts with controls on the form.  e.g.

Public Sub UpdateScore()
            Me.Invoke(Sub()
                      End Sub)
        End Sub

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:37 PM

All replies

• Either switch to a System.Windows.Forms.Timer component, which will raise its event on the main thread, or modify your code to use a call to Invoke from the main form to execute the code that interacts with controls on the form.  e.g.

Public Sub UpdateScore()
            Me.Invoke(Sub()
                      End Sub)
        End Sub

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:37 PM
  • Thanks
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:40 PM