.Net Framework Service Pack 2.0, can this be uninstalled if i have 3.5? RRS feed

• Question

• my computer is very old and moves extremely slow and freezes up and crashes constantly. i was told to clean some stuff off as this might help. i found that it uses 183.mb wich is more than everything else added together. i have installed service pack 3.0 which uses almost the same mb's ( i think it's a bit lower ). it just doesn't make any sense to me to have to keep old stuff when new upgrades are installed. please help, i'm about to throw my computer in the trash.

brenda baier
     baier_bren1959@live.com
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Brenda,

More clarification with you. Which .NET Framework do you want to remove? What's your OS?

The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1.

Referring to removal of any the earlier versions of the .NET Framework, it depends on the applications and OS that are ran on your PC.
    If you have Windows XP Home Edition SP3, the MSI-based .NET Framework 1.1 + SP1 is shipped with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 but not as truly integrated OS components. If you don't have any application based on .NET Framework 1.1, you can remove it.
    If you have Windows Vista or some application based on .NET Framework 3.5 on your PC, you cannot remove .NET Framework 2.0, .NET Framework 3.0 and .NET Framework 3.5 because .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 are the prerequisite of .NET Framework 3.5. So the three .NET Frameworks cannot be removed.
    For more information of .NET Framework Conceptual Overview, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zw4w595w.aspx
    For more information of .NET Framework 3.5, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w0x726c2.aspx

I hope this information will be helpful.

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:26 AM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:41 AM