How to do custom authentication? RRS feed

• Question

• User2096643634 posted

Hello! Forums,

Please guide me through custom authentication. I have done it as mentioned in the readme file in the samples folder. But after completing all the steps when I open my browser and give in the url http://<servername>:<portnumber>/Reports, it shows the following error:

The report server is not responding. Verify that the report server is running and can be accessed from this computer.

How to get rid of this? I dont have any clue. Please help asap.

Thanks in Advance...

Regards,

Mansi :)

Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:37 AM

Answers

• User1471008070 posted

Hi,

Reporting Services provides an extensible architecture that allows you to plug in custom or forms-based authentication modules. Replacing the default Windows Authentication extension with a custom authentication extension gives you more control over how external users are granted access to the report server.

In practice, deploying a custom authentication extension requires multiple steps that include copying assemblies and application files, modifying configuration files, and testing.

For detail steps please refer to this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281383.aspx 

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 5:18 AM

All replies

• User-639341093 posted

Hi mansi,

Which type : authentication do you want can u describe it wats the exact Error is.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:28 AM
  • User2096643634 posted

Hello!

I am using SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services. My requirement is to distribute reports on internet so I need Form Authentication. Windows Integrated Security needs to be changed. I downloaded the sample code and followed the instructions as given in Readme file but in vain. Is it safe to use this kind of ready made code? If anyone has implemented form authentication successfully?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:13 AM
  • User1471008070 posted

Hi,

Reporting Services provides an extensible architecture that allows you to plug in custom or forms-based authentication modules. Replacing the default Windows Authentication extension with a custom authentication extension gives you more control over how external users are granted access to the report server.

In practice, deploying a custom authentication extension requires multiple steps that include copying assemblies and application files, modifying configuration files, and testing.

For detail steps please refer to this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281383.aspx 

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 5:18 AM
  • User2096643634 posted

Thanks for the link. I followed the same steps and used the sample code and I am able to implement form authentication successfully. 

Major mistake was that my WMI path was wrong. Everything seems fine so far...

Monday, January 24, 2011 6:32 AM