Proble with f8 key no longer works to step through your code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone can someone enlighten me as to why my f8 key in debug mode no longer allows me to step through my code, something I have been doing for over 10 years.  I am using Windows 10

Thanks

Les

Thursday, October 15, 2020 9:38 PM

Answers

• In Visual Studio, usually <F10> (Step Over) and <F11> (Step Into) can be used.

<F8> and <Shift+F8> were used in VBA for Excel, Word, etc.

• Marked as answer by Les2011 Friday, October 16, 2020 8:16 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2020 5:12 AM

All replies

• Hi

f8 is still stepping through code here. Does your computer have 'special' functions toggled with the function keys - such as volume+  volume- brightness+ brightness-  etc - if so maybe the function key 'mode' needs to be toggled (on mine, I have a Fn key on the keyboard for this - it toggles between 'normal' and 'special'  when 'normal' mode is selected I can use all the function keys in VB edit etc.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Thursday, October 15, 2020 10:48 PM
  • In Visual Studio, usually <F10> (Step Over) and <F11> (Step Into) can be used.

<F8> and <Shift+F8> were used in VBA for Excel, Word, etc.

• Marked as answer by Les2011 Friday, October 16, 2020 8:16 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2020 5:12 AM
  • Hi Les,

No I have a very standard keyboard, in fact the same one I have been using for years.  The function keys are the std F1 to F12.

Les

Friday, October 16, 2020 5:56 AM
  • Hi Viorel,

Since vb.net 2010, 2017 and 2019 I have been using the F8 key to step through my code in debug mode.  You may be right for the F8 key used in VBA, Excel and Word but I assure you I have never used any of those keys within Office. I took your advice and tried the F10 key and what do you know it does the step by step??  Very strange since I have over the years been using my F8 key.  Is anyone aware of this issue and why all of a sudden does MS use the F10 key.  Now I just did some research and some people have suggested that MS deactivated that key because most people use that key for launching safe mode and because some computers are starting up so quickly they really don't have time to press the F10 key.  This made a little more sense to me since the change I made to my system is I replaced the hard-drive with and SSD.  Even so I don't fully understand why if that is even the case and was hoping somebody out here can shed some light on this

Thanks

Les

Friday, October 16, 2020 6:06 AM
  • Hi Les2011,

Thank you for posting here.

Visual Studio now uses F11 and F10 rather than F8 to step through a program.Default keyboard shortcuts in Visual Studio

If you want to continue using F8, you can try the following steps:

(1)Tools->Options->Keyboard

(2)Please change the Keyboard layout or assign different keystrokes to commands.

Best regards,

Arya

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Arya Ding Friday, October 16, 2020 7:40 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2020 7:37 AM
  • If you prefer different keys, go to Tools menu in Visual Studio, select Options, go to Environment, then Keyboard from left tree. Here you can re-assign the keys. If you select “Visual Basic 6” from “Apply the following additional keyboard mapping scheme” dropdown list, then both of <F8> and <F11> should work.

Friday, October 16, 2020 7:46 AM