Background Internet Transfer Service in a workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a way to transfer large files to about 400 computers.  Most of them work with a simple FileCopy but, there are about 10% that lose the connection (and destroy any progress made) and NEVER get the file successfully.  I have written a wrapper for BITS (this seems to be a perfect solution) and I am trying to use my development machine as the source of the uploads to a private network of computers.  We are NOT using AD but I know every IP address and have admin credentials for each machine.  However, I cannot seem to get successfully authenticated - "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."

I have tried "<machine_name>\<admin_user>", ".\<admin_user>", "<admin_user>" and "<workgroup_name>\<admin_user>" but nothing works.  I am able to connect to their admin share after doing a net use... but, still I cannot get authenticated.  I have also tried every type of authentication along with all the creds mentioned above.

Steve

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers

• I was mistaken about it working with those credentials.  While it did work, there was an extra step I had to take to actually gain access to the PC.  I found this article that I merged into my CNetworkInformation class.

vb-net-remotely-authenticate-to-access-network-share/

Once I make this connection successfully (connecting to the C$ share in my case), I am then able to use the BITS credentials with no problem.

Hope this helps.

Steve

• Marked as answer by Steve Frase Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:29 PM
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:29 PM

All replies

• I was able to get this working by using computer_name\admin_user.  I also had to switch IIS to use .Net 4.0 for anyone that is interested.

Steve

• Marked as answer by Steve Frase Friday, July 13, 2012 8:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Steve Frase Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:29 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 8:59 PM
  • I was mistaken about it working with those credentials.  While it did work, there was an extra step I had to take to actually gain access to the PC.  I found this article that I merged into my CNetworkInformation class.

vb-net-remotely-authenticate-to-access-network-share/

Once I make this connection successfully (connecting to the C$ share in my case), I am then able to use the BITS credentials with no problem.

Hope this helps.

Steve

• Marked as answer by Steve Frase Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:29 PM
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:29 PM