none
Mispronunciation of "Nicarri" RRS feed

• Question

• We use synthesized speech on behalf of schools to notify parents of school-related information. Often, we play back student names as part of that information. We have one school that is pretty upset about the pronunciation of one of their students' names: "Nicarri".

Bing Speak pronounces it "nicker", which over the telephone resembles a racial slur.

Go to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services/speech/ 

and try "My name is Nicarri".

In light of the current political environment, the school is rather upset and news media is picking up the story. MS, are you listening? You might want to make a small adjustment to your speech synthesizer.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suppose we cannot expect too much from synthesized speech especially about "proper noun".

I am a Japanese, and my name can be written by Chinese characters, 秀規. My parents and I hope it is  pronounced as "hide-ki", but it can be pronounced as "hide-nori". This is true not only in Japanese but also other languages.

I recommend to send a feedback to Bing for improvement.

Regrads,

Ashidacchi

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, October 31, 2017 10:30 PM
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:31 PM
  • I don't have a support contract, so my options for contacting MS are limited. This was my effort to report the issue. Hopefully, MS developers monitor this forum.
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:02 PM
  • I am not impressed if Bing Speak takes a word that clearly has 3 syllables and arbitrarily drops one.

Nicarri clearly has three sylables, NI-CAR-RI which I would expect to come out as NI-KAR-RE OR NI-SAR-RE or possibly NYE-CARE-RE.

Also, ALL Microsoft products have support for a fee per call available.  I have used this when I have a specific problem for a Microsoft problem.   They are quite efficient- solving the reason my Welsh language pack stopped working after a security update.  For Office products it is a flat $50 per call.

Also, if you choice is spending money to fix the problem or loosing customers and possibly lawsuits the choice is obviousl.

Saturday, November 4, 2017 3:42 AM
  • Thomas 

we will investigate this issue and fix asap. 

Thx for reporting. 

Saturday, November 4, 2017 11:28 PM
  • Ashidacchi,

we will look at your name too 

thx for reporting 

Sunday, November 5, 2017 12:03 AM
  • Thomas

the word nicarri is fixed. please check

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services/speech/

Monday, November 6, 2017 11:25 AM
  • @xuejuan,

Is it the same as creating user's dictionary?

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Monday, November 6, 2017 11:45 AM
  • @Ashidacchi

yes.  

for your ja-JP name,  does it have multiple pronuncation?  if so you could try to use SSML pron to fix it. 

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:50 AM
  • You da man. Great job.
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:07 PM