none
Word 2010: track revisions in editable sections of protected document RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to enable Track Changes in the editable sections of a protected document in Word 2010 without unlocking the document.  The Protection Pane disables Track Changes, but the following macro seems to do the right thing:

Public Sub TrackAndProtect()

'simultaneously set document protection
        'and track changes

With ActiveDocument
            .TrackFormatting = True
            .TrackMoves = True
            .TrackRevisions = True
            .ShowRevisions = True
            .Protect _
                Password:="", _
                NoReset:=False, _
                Type:=wdAllowOnlyReading, _
                UseIRM:=False, _
                EnforceStyleLock:=False
        End With

'set exceptions for selection

Selection.Range.Editors.Add wdEditorEveryone

End Sub

Except that, in the resulting .docx, the Accept Change and Reject Change ribbon controls appear to be inactivated in the Changes group, although the Previous and Next controls remain active.  Is this a Word issue, a ribbon issue, or simply not possible?

Thanks,

Frank (GrayHare)

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your participation in this forum.

My answer would be not possible. According to my knowledge, you cannot track changes in a protected document. Once you protect the document, the Track Changes, Accept and Reject buttons will be inactivated.

Regards,

Damon Zheng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 10, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Thanks for your thoughts.  You're correct: the Track Changes, Accept, and Reject buttons are all inactivated when the document is protected.  That's precisely the problem.

If I've created an editable section in a protected document, then Word marks revisions in the editable section appropriately (for example, with w:ins and w:del elements).  I can navigate to the revisions with the Previous and Next buttons, but I can't accept or reject them.  Removing the w:documentProtection element reactivates the Track Changes, Accept, and Reject buttons, but of course, opens the entire document for editing.

I just can't comprehend why the accept and reject methods are inactivated in this situation when everything else seems to be in place.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 8:23 PM