none
WCF service: EndpointNotFoundException on some installations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have WCF web service being called by another WCF service in it's turn being called by a client app. Both services are deployed on IIS, the same website and app pool.

When installed on customer side we get permanent error:

System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at [url] that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

When pasting the mentioned url to a web browser it shows the service message: "You have created a service..." so the service does answer.

The problem couldn't be reproduced on development pcs and on 2 of 3 testing servers. On one server it could be reproduced. Again, the service does answer when accessed via a browser. We re-installed it changing default urls, the same pb.

Does anyone have the idea why this could happen?

Thanks!
    Artem Kliatchkine
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:09 PM

Answers

• On 2/27/2013 8:16 AM, Artem Kliatchkine wrote:

Have you taken the url for that WCF service on the Web server, put into a browser address line, and the service page showed?

Yes, just as I explain initially. And if in debug mode I set the fields containing that huge arrays to null it also passes to  the service.

Well, you may not have error handling setup so that you know you had some kind of fault exception, which was swallowed and all you got was a 404. If this large amount of data is exceeding the default limits, then you have to go to the config files on the client and service-sides and increase the setting.
     Forget about the using statement the link is talking about, but look at the try/catch

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa355056.aspx

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi All,

I have WCF web service being called by another WCF service in it's turn being called by a client app. Both services are deployed are deployed on IIS, the same website and app pool.

When installed on customer side we get permanent error:

System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at [url] that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

When pasting the mentioned url to a web browser it shows the service message: "You have created a service..." so the service does answer.

The problem couldn't be reproduced on development pcs and on 2 of 3 testing servers. On one server it could be reproduced. Again, the service does answer when accessed via a browser. We re-installed it changing default urls, the same pb.

Does anyone have the idea why this could happen?

Thanks!
    Artem Kliatchkine

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:24 AM
  •  You should post to the MSDN WCF forum for help

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:04 PM
  • http://forums.asp.net/t/1753395.aspx/1

Mark Answered, if it solves your question and Vote if you found it helpful.
    Rohit Arora

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:48 PM
  • As mentioned, calling the same url from a browser does work so doesn't look like a firewall or misconfiguration problem.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:59 PM
  • if the binding is net.tcp or netpipe , make sure respective service is enable/running on the machine.

Mark Answered, if it solves your question and Vote if you found it helpful.
    Rohit Arora

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Hi,

Looks like a configuration settings problem to me.Can you verify if the service end point uri is specified properly in config file or in code ( whichever the case may be ) on production as well as in your computer that caused a problem.

Thanks,

BR,

JollyWagoner

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

Is the issue resolved? You may check if you have you have configured the IIS properly as RohitArora mentioned. You may also enable WCF tracing for your service to troubleshoot this issue.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/madhuponduru/archive/2006/05/18/601458.aspx

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:19 AM
  • The issue is not resolved and it doesn't look like a configuration pb. I use WCF test client to connect to the service and it has no pb.

But I managed to reproduce the pb in a debug mode. It appears that when the problem appears there is an attempt to pass to the service a really huge object (2 arrays of child objects contain 46K elements each and there are more). I'm not an author of the original service but this is most probably an error by itself. I would very much expect some kind of exception saying that the maximum size of a request is exceeded. But instead there is 404 error. Is this a common situation to get it in such a case?

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:35 AM
  • On 2/27/2013 5:35 AM, Artem Kliatchkine wrote:

The issue is not resolved and it doesn't look like a configuration pb. I use WCF test client to connect to the service and it has no pb.

But I managed to reproduce the pb in a debug mode. It appears that when the problem appears there is an attempt to pass to the service a really huge object (2 arrays of child objects contain 46K elements each and there are more). I'm not an author of the original service but this is most probably an error by itself. I would very much expect some kind of exception saying that the maximum size of a request is exceeded. But instead there is 404 error. Is this a common situation to get it in such a case?

No, if you have exceed some max limitation, then some kind of an exception should have been thrown other than a 404. And you are getting a 404.what? 404.3 or what?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms732012(v=VS.85).aspx

Have you taken the url for that WCF service on the Web server, put into a browser address line, and the service page showed?

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Have you taken the url for that WCF service on the Web server, put into a browser address line, and the service page showed?

Yes, just as I explain initially. And if in debug mode I set the fields containing that huge arrays to null it also passes to  the service.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:16 PM
  • On 2/27/2013 8:16 AM, Artem Kliatchkine wrote:

Yes, just as I explain initially. And if in debug mode I set the fields containing that huge arrays to null it also passes to  the service.

Well, you may not have error handling setup so that you know you had some kind of fault exception, which was swallowed and all you got was a 404. If this large amount of data is exceeding the default limits, then you have to go to the config files on the client and service-sides and increase the setting.
     Forget about the using statement the link is talking about, but look at the try/catch

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa355056.aspx

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:46 PM