none
Publishing issues with EW4 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from EW1 to EW4, hoping also for an FTP/publishing improvement - but no improvement yet.

I can successfully connect to my remote site, browse through the folders, and usually upload individual files or even a few at the same time. However, uploading changed pages and in particular if I want to do that for the full site (in folder view) very often results in Port 21 messages suggesting that the name/address is not correct. Even if I in that situaton can still continue uploading pages one by one.

What could be the issue and how could I solve that?  

Monday, January 9, 2012 10:04 AM

Answers

• The problem is solved. Upon my request my host made some changes to the configuration. They gave my IPadres some extra space. I checked with two of my sites with both EW1 and EW4 - full synchronizatyion - and no issues. Thank you very much for your suggestion!
    • Marked as answer by Pretlicht Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:07 AM

All replies

• Havee you set the correct active or passive ftp setting in Tools > Application options > FTP tab?

Expression Web MVP
    Monday, January 9, 2012 2:04 PM
  • I have it on its Passive FTP default. But, I also tried with Active FTP - my host supports both (and deblocked EW4 in the Windows firewall). Active works as good/bad as Passive, so this isn't the answer.

It is just that for some reason the listing of files on the remote site takes forever - in EW1 you got some kind of a time out error, in EW4 the Port 21 alert. Yet, uploading individual files, browsing and deleting manually in the remote site is all no problem. Even then, the FTP connection is not lost. After such an event you can always continue uploading individual files - uintil you get a message that the connection with the host gets lost.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:22 AM
  • If you are getting time out errors then it sounds like you host needs to increase the time allowed for connections on  the server or your server may have too many hosting accounts on it.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion - I will check with my host!

Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:25 AM
  • The problem is solved. Upon my request my host made some changes to the configuration. They gave my IPadres some extra space. I checked with two of my sites with both EW1 and EW4 - full synchronizatyion - and no issues. Thank you very much for your suggestion!
    • Marked as answer by Pretlicht Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:07 AM
  • So it was an issue with how your host had set up your account as was suggested earlier in the thread.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:45 PM