Temp-Contract Worker User Profile Synchronization in SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could provide some feedback on what is the best practice for configuring Temp or Contract worker user profile services in SharePoint 2013. We have had lot of issues within MySites when we make these types of workers AD account inactive and then active again when they come back on projects. The user profile synchronization does not work correctly and MySites has issues loading the profile etc. Also in the same context are there best practices for Name/Title/Department changes as well. 

thank you for your feedback!

AJ

Ajay Mandal

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:20 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure I'm following the specific question.Those changes should all sync from AD to user Profiles through the sync mechanism.  There is then a timer job that will sync them to the user information list in each site collection about once an hour.  In 2010 that only happened for "Active" users, ie. users who uploaded a document or created a list item.  But in 2013 it should be happening for everyone.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Monday, October 13, 2014 2:18 AM
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 8:59 PM

All replies

• Given what you describe I assume you've created a user profile Sync connection filter to remove disabled AD accounts from the user profile sync.  That's why you are running into problems.  When a user is missing from the import their profile is deleted within an hour or so, but their MySite isn't deleted for 14 days (to allow time for a manager to clean it off).  If the user is reactivated within the 14 day period their old mySite is still there, but is no longer referenced by the new profile that is created.  So When the user goes to their profile it tries to create a new mySite where one already exists.  It can't do that.

The same thing will happen if you delete the contractor's user account, but then recreate them in AD when they return.  The only way to fix it is to make sure both the profile and mySite site collection in /Personal/ have been deleted before re-adding an old contractor.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:42 PM
  • Thanks Paul, appreciate your feedback. Any best practice recommendation in user profile changes like title, department or name changes and sync it with MySite data?

AJ

Ajay Mandal

Sunday, October 5, 2014 4:42 PM
  • Are you deleting the AD accounts and re-using the same sAMAccountName? SharePoint used to object to that quite a bit as it generally assumes that a sAMAccountName is a unique identifier and re-use confuses it.

I would advise using unique identifiers for the account names, both for SharePoint and also for logging purposes to help non-repudability for any logs after the event.

Sunday, October 5, 2014 7:10 PM
  • I'm not sure I'm following the specific question.Those changes should all sync from AD to user Profiles through the sync mechanism.  There is then a timer job that will sync them to the user information list in each site collection about once an hour.  In 2010 that only happened for "Active" users, ie. users who uploaded a document or created a list item.  But in 2013 it should be happening for everyone.

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Monday, October 13, 2014 2:18 AM
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 8:59 PM