Backups saving to local drive and cloud RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to Azure and I've recently moved my server backups to Azure. I was using the built-in Windows Backup on my Windows 2012R2 servers to back them up to a network drive. Now I am running the MARS agent on each to push them up to my Azure Storage account which is great, but they are still continuing to write to the network drive as well. Is this by design or is there a way for them to only write to the Azure Storage cloud and not the network drive? I have googled and checked several forums, but not found an answer to this question. Thanks for your help!
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Azure Backup (with the locally installed agent) should be backing up to Azure Recovery Vault only (there is a local cache being - but not a separate backup)

Make sure to follow https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-configure-vault

hth
    Marcin

Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:10 PM
  • I have done this for each server, but my local backups still run each day. I do not see anywhere that allows me to stop the local backups in either the portal or the MARS agent.
    Friday, February 1, 2019 1:32 PM
  • Okay, I found where I need to stop the local backups. When I installed MARS agent, it changed my shortcuts to go directly to MARS, rather than the local Windows Backup Server app. It seems that the only way I can get to the local backup process now is via the Server Manager/Tools menu option. That now shows a tree with local and azure backup branches. So selecting the local branch, I can stop/modify it. Since the modified shortcuts force me into the azure backup windows (with no reference to a local backup), I assumed that it 'replaced' my local backup app, which is obviously not the case. Thanks Marcin, you have been a great help.
    Friday, February 1, 2019 1:42 PM