none
Create a Macro to Index a Word Document Line by Line RRS feed

• Question

• Background

I have collected a bunch of keywords and references to where I can find these words in a textbook.  I've put them into a Word document where each line is one Index beginning with the “Main Entry” followed by a colon and then the “Subentry”.  Note that in the "Subentry" I have included my reference in parenthesis (b1-m2).
    Example Original Text:
            Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2)

Example Marked for Index:
            Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2){ XE "Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2)" \t "" }

When it was only a page of content it was no big deal to select the entire line and <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<x> then <Enter> down the line.  Now that I have about 500 lines of these word combinations, I need a more automated solution. 

I have searched for KB articles that explain the various elements I need, though unsuccessfully since I don’t know what I need.  I doubt I am the first person to do this, so if anyone could point me to the right documents I would greatly appreciate it.

As a noob, how difficult of a task is this to automate with a Macro or some other method and should I even attempt it? I have a very short window of time to figure this out.

Nice to have: In the final index, I don't need the Word page numbering after the term.  My references are in the parenthesis.  I know how to remove it manually in Word, when I mark the index entry: Chose Options, Cross-reference and remove the pre-populated text of "see". That adds  \t "" to the index reference. 

Illustrated as such:
            From: Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2){ XE "Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2)" }
            To:     Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2){ XE "Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2)" \t "" }

My Attempt at Recording a Macro

Having zero experience writing macro’s myself, I tried recorded a simple macro using the manual keystrokes below however the text reflected in the actual index reference does not change.  I also have to manually kick off the macro on every line of text.

I walked through each of the steps outlined below as I was recording a macro, however when I replay the macro, the index itself contains the exact same text for every line and does not match the original text on the new line.

I could not get the macro to repeat itself on every line.  I had to keep running it until I was done (technically, when I realized it was repeating the same text within the index reference itself) but I’d like the macro to run from beginning to end; line by line and then insert the Index itself at the end on a new page.

I realize I need some kind of loop to keep the macro going line by line.

I also need some way to mark the Main Entry within the loop (everything to the left of the colon) and then the Subentry (everything to the right of the colon to the end of the line). 

Example “Index” Macro

Sub Index()
    '
    ' Index Macro
    '
    '
        Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine, Extend:=wdExtend
        ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = True
        ActiveDocument.Indexes.MarkEntry Range:=Selection.Range, Entry:= _
            "TV\:The Good Wife (y2014-y2015)", EntryAutoText:= _
            "TV\:The Good Wife (y2014-y2015)", CrossReference:="", _
            CrossReferenceAutoText:="", BookmarkName:="", Bold:=False, Italic:=False
        Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
    End Sub

Manually Marking Index Entries

Manually, here are the keystrokes I use to iterate my way through the document.

Manual Index Marking Keyboard Combinations:

1. At the beginning of the first line, press <Shift> + <End>
      • This selects the entire rows text
    2. Then press <Ctrl> + <Shift> + <x>
      • This allows me to “Mark Index Entry”
    3. Then press <Enter>
      • This confirms the Index entry
    4. Then press <Esc>
      • This closes the “Mark Index Entry”
    5. Go to the next line and repeat.

Replacing anchor

Once the creation of each index is complete, I need to be able to iterate through the document and find all anchor + colons (IE: \: ) and replace with colon (IE: :). This way, the “Main entry” and “Subentry” are handled properly when the Index is inserted.

Manual Anchor Replacement Keyboard Combinations:

1. At the beginning of the Word document, press <Ctrl> + <h>
    2. Find what:      \:
    3. Replace with:   :
    4. Then <Alt> + <a>
    5. Press the "Ok" button (or make replace silent somehow)
    6. Then press <Esc>
      • This should close the "Find and Replace" screen

Inserting Index

Ideally, I would like the macro to create and insert the newly marked content into an index at the end of the document.

Manually Inserting Index Keyboard Combinations:

1. Press <Ctrl> + <End>
      • this takes us to the bottom of the document
    2. Then press <Alt> + <s>
      • this chooses the "References" tab
    3. Next press <Alt> + <x>
      • this chooses "Insert Index"
    4. Next press <Alt> + <t>
      • This should allow you to choose a "Format" option for the index
    5. Next press <m>
      • This should chose "Modern" from the "Formats" options
    6. Finally, press <Enter>
    7. End the macro

Example before Indexing:

TV:The Good Wife (y2014-y2015)
              TV:Phineas and Ferb (y2011)
              TV:Curb Your Enthusiasm (y2011-y2015)
              Game:Back to the Future (y2012)
              Made for TV Movie:The Magic 7(y2009)
              Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2)

Example after Indexing is completed:

The marked up text/references did not transfer over properly from the Word document I copied my question from.  I had to manually type the text within the {} brackets for illustrative purposes here:

TV:The Good Wife (y2014-y2015){ XE "TV:The Good Wife (y2014-y2015)" }
              TV:Phineas and Ferb (y2011){ XE "TV:Phineas and Ferb (y2011)" }
              TV:Curb Your Enthusiasm (y2011-y2015){ XE "TV:Curb Your Enthusiasm (y2011-y2015)" }
              Game:Back to the Future (y2012){ XE "Game:Back to the Future (y2012)" }
              Made for TV Movie:The Magic 7(y2009){ XE "Made for TV Movie:The Magic 7(y2009)" }
              Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2){ XE "Main Entry:Subentry (b1-m2)" }

Example Index 

G
        Game
              Back to the Future (y2012) · 2

M
        Made for TV Movie
              The Magic 7(y2009) · 2
        Main Entry
              Subentry (b1-m2) · 1, 2

T
         TV
              Curb Your Enthusiasm (y2011-y2015) · 2
              Phineas and Ferb (y2011) · 2
              The Good Wife (y2014-y2015) · 2

Chris Schurman

• Moved by George123345 Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:21 AM
    • Edited by Sure-man Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:58 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2015 7:56 PM

Answers

• Once I combined my Excel knowledge and Word knowledge, this became a piece of cake.  Sharing my solution for anyone else who may have the need.  The point of this exercise is to prepare for an open book exam and I need a quick index of my books (there are 6 for this class).  Anyway, here is how i solved (though slightly clunky, it works in seconds!)"

In Excel, I pieced the text together by concatenating the indexing markup and the contents of the pertinent cells as such:
        =CONCATENATE("XE """,A2,":",B2," (b",C2,"-p",D2,")"" \t """"")

Content from Excel (with results of concantenate statement in last column:
    Heading    Slide Title    Book    Page    Copy this into notepad then into word
    Game    Back to the Future    1    12    XE "Game:Back to the Future (b1-p12)"
    Made for TV Movie    The Magic 7    2    7    XE "Made for TV Movie:The Magic 7 (b2-p7)"
    Main Entry    Subentry    3    48    XE "Main Entry:Subentry (b3-p48)"
    TV    Curb Your Enthusiasm    4    100    XE "TV:Curb Your Enthusiasm (b4-p100)"
    TV    Phineas and Ferb    5    20    XE "TV:Phineas and Ferb (b5-p20)"
    TV    The Good Wife    6    35    XE "TV:The Good Wife (b6-p35)"

Then I paste special the "Values" of the last column into Word.

I run the macro below (haven't figured out how to loop yet) a few doxen times an insert the index at the bottom.
        Sub Index()
        '
        ' Index Macro
        '
        '
            Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdLine
            Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
            Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, _
                PreserveFormatting:=False
            Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine
        End Sub

Bam; instant Index!

Chris Schurman

• Marked as answer by Sure-man Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:09 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Word, the issue is more related to Word coding/programing, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for Word

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=worddev&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:20 AM
  • Once I combined my Excel knowledge and Word knowledge, this became a piece of cake.  Sharing my solution for anyone else who may have the need.  The point of this exercise is to prepare for an open book exam and I need a quick index of my books (there are 6 for this class).  Anyway, here is how i solved (though slightly clunky, it works in seconds!)"

In Excel, I pieced the text together by concatenating the indexing markup and the contents of the pertinent cells as such:
        =CONCATENATE("XE """,A2,":",B2," (b",C2,"-p",D2,")"" \t """"")

Content from Excel (with results of concantenate statement in last column:
    Heading    Slide Title    Book    Page    Copy this into notepad then into word
    Game    Back to the Future    1    12    XE "Game:Back to the Future (b1-p12)"
    Made for TV Movie    The Magic 7    2    7    XE "Made for TV Movie:The Magic 7 (b2-p7)"
    Main Entry    Subentry    3    48    XE "Main Entry:Subentry (b3-p48)"
    TV    Curb Your Enthusiasm    4    100    XE "TV:Curb Your Enthusiasm (b4-p100)"
    TV    Phineas and Ferb    5    20    XE "TV:Phineas and Ferb (b5-p20)"
    TV    The Good Wife    6    35    XE "TV:The Good Wife (b6-p35)"

Then I paste special the "Values" of the last column into Word.

I run the macro below (haven't figured out how to loop yet) a few doxen times an insert the index at the bottom.
        Sub Index()
        '
        ' Index Macro
        '
        '
            Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdLine
            Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
            Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, _
                PreserveFormatting:=False
            Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine