none
Kinect SDK installed, Camera Features do not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have already spent half the weekend on this problem, so if somebody might have a good idea, I thank you in advance :-)

I have installed the 1.0 Kinect SDK. I had a beta version installed before, it used to work. I removed it for the installation of 1.0 . The Kinect device is recognized and drivers seem to be loaded correctly.The speech demo works correctly. However, none of the camera features work, i.e. the kinect explorer, the shape game and the skeleton viewer. These are the symptoms:

Skeleton Viewer shows "Could not enable Skeleton Tracking"

Shape Game starts, but does not track anything

Kinect Explorer starts the small windows only showing that it has connected to the Kinect, the black window does not open. If I close the white window, the kinect explorer is still running I have to quit it thru the task manager.

I have tried this on a second computer with the same result. I have also ordered a new Kinect without success. I am running windows 7 64 bit.

I have tried to debug the problem running the kinect explorer from visual studio. The result is the same, only the white window is opened. The last thing happening on the purput console is this:

A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in Microsoft.Kinect.dll

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers

Jonas

Saturday, June 2, 2012 5:43 PM

All replies

• I have started the kinect explorer without pluggin in the kinect now. Once I plug in the Kinect two black windows open up and tell "Insufficient Bandwidth". However I have no other USB Device connected" :-(
    Saturday, June 2, 2012 6:59 PM
  • can you share info about the machine? What USB host controllers do you have? Are you sure nothing else is on he USB controller? Can you go to device manager and right-click on the usb host, and goto Advanced tab?
    Saturday, June 2, 2012 10:04 PM
  • there are two usb root hubs : Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 1:33 AM
  • I find usb speakers can even suck away all the bandwidth and cause my kinect to not function properly. If you have them plugged into same usb hub as kinect remove them (includes pci usb hubs).

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:28 PM
  • I have the same problem and have also spent at least a week on it. It all happened after I installed OpenNI because I didn't want to use NUI. OpenNI didn't work so I uninstalled it and reinstalled the Kinect SDK and now it doesn't work. NuiInitialize gives a success, but opening any of the kinect streams gives a big fat E_FAIL. I've tried deleting the kinect drivers (all that I could find anyway) and uninstalling/reinstalling the sdk, but with no success, and I can't system restore because it was too long ago. If I can't find a solution soon, I'll just have to reinstall windows (come on Microsoft, Really?).
    Monday, June 11, 2012 4:56 PM
  • what version of the SDK are you using?
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:00 PM
  • 1.0.3.191. The one from May 2, 2012.

Also, I just tried installing it on a computer that had a previous version of the kinect sdk installed and the same problem occurred.

Perhaps something is broken with the installer. Like a registry setting. I'll try deleting kinect related registries in the morning. Let me know if anyone thinks of anything else.

• Edited by thegrb93 Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:25 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:16 AM
  • so the device was working fine with Kinect For Windows SDK before you installed Open NI? Is there a reason you are using the 1.0 SDK instead of the 1.5 release?
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:32 AM
  • I am having the same problem. I was working with the Kinect for Windows SDK beta 2 (but with a normal XBOX 360 Kinect sensor) and it all worked fine. I saw that there was un upgrade and installed the 1.5 version, since the skeleton tracking had been improved. I changed most of my code to adapt the old code to the new functions and saw that with C#/WPF the camera stream goes really slow. I tried to go back to the SDK beta 2 and now neither the depth camera nor the color camera work.

I have also tried to install de 1.0 version and it won't work, so, now, the only version that works is the 1.5 and the skeleton tracking goes wrong..... Does somebody know how to resolve this?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:47 AM
  • I would update to v1.5 but to use simple depth tracking just re-add for managed programs the microsoft.kinect reference if you have a v1 project.  ikatz xbox kinect works in debugging mode and it works fair for me giving decent fps but not high fps. I prefer debugging with the xbox kinect on my computer for now then i will buy a kinect for windows later when I have perfected my kinect programs.

OP please state if you fixed the problem or not.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Yes. I installed Kinect SDK and it worked. Uninstalled Kinect SDK and installed OpenNI and it didn't work. Uninstalled OpenNI and reinstalled Kinect SDK and it didn't work. I'll have to try the new SDK tomorrow since I'm totally occupied today.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:36 PM
  • You need to clean out the OPEN NI files on the computer. Uninstalling can be nasty sometimes as it still leaves some OPEN NI references to dll files and some parts of the OPEN NI driver or OPEN NI runtime files on your computer.

Edit: one first solution would be to clean out temporary files. Then if kinect team responds try some of their suggestions

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:56 PM
  • The kinect sdk v1.5 works without a problem. It most likely was referenced dlls or other invalid settings openNI left behind the that v1.0 sdk wasn't able to comprehend. 
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:31 PM