none
BIDI text on backstage RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Outlook addin that adds a menu item to the Backstage Ribbon.  When you click on that item it displays several large buttons each having helper text associated with them.  When Outlook is run in any language that displays Right to Left the helper text does not wrap correctly.  The buttons appear on the right side and the first line of the text is to the right, but the second line, if it wraps, is left justified.  Any idea on how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

>> When you click on that item it displays several large buttons each having helper text associated with them.<<

As far as I know, there is no help text for the button. It is avaible for the group control. You can get more detail about controls for cusomizaing backstate view from link below under the Descriptions, Attributes, and Child Information for the Backstage View Controls section:

Introduction to the Office 2010 Backstage View for Developers

Would you maind sharing with us some XML to help us to reproduce the issue? Also the version of Outlook and which language you are using are also helpful.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 19, 2014 7:20 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I am using Outlook 2013 and the addin is written in c#.  Here is the backstage riibbon xml:

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">
        <backstage onShow="backstage_onShow">
          <tab id="TabInfo" insertBeforeMso="FileCloseAndLogOff"
               label="${Help}"
               columnWidthPercent="30"
               getVisible="MyBackstageTab_GetVisible" >
             <firstColumn>
              <group id="grpOne" label="${groupOne}" helperText="${groupOneHelperText}">
                <primaryItem>
                  <button id="buttonBackStage" label="${BtnBackStage}" imageMso="DirectRepliesTo" onAction="buttonBackStage_Click"/>
                </primaryItem>
                <topItems>
                  <layoutContainer id="layoutOne" layoutChildren="vertical">
                    <labelControl id="label" getLabel = "MyBackstageTab_GetLabel" getVisible="InfoLabel_GetVisible"/>
                    <button id="Turnoff" label="${TurnOff}" getVisible="MyBackstageButton_GetVisible" onAction="buttonBackStageTurnoff_Click" />       
                  </layoutContainer>
                </topItems>
              </group>
     </firstColumn>
          </tab>
       </backstage>
    </customUI>

The text that gets substiuted for groupOneHelperText has to be long enough so that it wraps to a second line. This also happens when the window is sized small enough. In this case you will see the second line of the text is left justified.

Thanks again.

Friday, September 19, 2014 12:05 PM
  • The Fluent UI doesn't provide anything for that.

To get the right layout you need to run the code in the localized edition of Office where all controls use the right-to-left layout. Did you have a chance to run your controls there? Do you get the same results?

Friday, September 19, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Yes, I see all the buttons on the right hand side with the text to the left, its just the second line of the helper text that does not justify correctly.  Maybe its a bug?
    Saturday, September 20, 2014 1:43 AM
  • Please make sure that you have all the latest updates installed for Office/Outlook.

Did you have a chance to test a built-in text edit control in the Ribbon? Do you see the same results?

Then if the issue still exist I'd recommend openening a support case. 

Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got chance to test the add-in after installing the latest update for Outlook and Do you see the same results?

If yes, please share the snapshot of issue and the actual XML with the value of helperText with us.

Regards,

Brij

Friday, October 24, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

If you still facing the issue, I would appreciate if you could open a new paid support request for it.

As, this issue requires a more in-depth level of support and on-going troubleshooting effort. Please visit the link below to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. 

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Regards,

Brijs

Friday, October 31, 2014 9:57 PM