none
connecting to AG listener when AG on named instance

Question

• Hi, just wondering if im doing this right. My setup is 2node AlwaysOn  AvailabilityGroup cluster. Already sat up a couple AGs on the default instance, but had to create a named instance due to collation issues.

Now I just sat up the first AG on the named instance, but when connecting directly to the listener name through SSMS from another server, I end up connecting to the default instance.. Shouldn't this get me directly to the named instance ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         If i put listener\instancename I end up at the correct Place, but this is not how i want the Applications to Connect.

Monday, December 19, 2016 9:47 PM

All replies

• If the default instance is not a Failover Cluster Instance (FCI), it's probably configured to listen on all IP addresses on its port. So when you bring an additional IP online (the second AG Listener is an additional IP address), the default instance is listening on that too.

In this scenario you need to configure each instance to listen on port 1433 on the correct IP addresses.  Each node will have (at least) 3 IP addresses.  One for the host, and one for each AG Listener.  In SQL Server Configuration Manager ensure that the default each is configured to listen on only the host IP and the appropriate AG Listener.

FCI's do this automatically, but with multiple non-FCI instances on a node you have to perform this configuration yourself.

David

Microsoft Technology Center - Dallas

My Blog

Monday, December 19, 2016 11:45 PM