Linked Server from 2008 R2 to SQL Server 7.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Maybe a was in the incorrect forum, thats why I put here the same question and I will try to be clear...

Is supported to make a Linked Server From SQL 2008 R2 to SQL Server 7.0?

I have being looking for comments from Microsoft about it but I didn't find nothing. Is it a bug o just doesn't support make it against SQL 7.0? (i'm using SQL 2008 R2 SP1 and SQL server 7.0 SP4)

Note: the same linked Server from SQL 2005 works perfect

This is the error msg:

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "xxx" returned message "Client unable to establish connection due to prelogin failure".

Msg 10054, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "xxx" returned message "Client unable to establish connection".

Msg 26, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

Client unable to establish connection because an error was encountered during handshakes before login. Common causes include client attempting to connect to an unsupported version of SQL Server, server too busy to accept new connections or a resource limitation (memory or maximum allowed connections) on the server.

I apreciate a lot any comments...

Friday, August 19, 2011 5:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• This blog post goes over your exact issue and the solution the author came up with.

Hope that helps,

John

• Marked as answer by XavierSanchez Friday, August 19, 2011 5:59 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Thanks John, it is the solution...i proved and works perfect.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 5:59 PM