Visual Studio Tools for Applications RRS feed

• Question

• Following are the question related VSTA that we have sent to Microsoft:
    • When is VSTA getting Released
    • Can we write the code/script in VSTA, store it in files/database; load the script and run it on the fly through a windows application
    • Can I store the Code/Function in the database and load that function dynamically, debug it, make changes, compile and save it back to database and deploy the changes to all the client machines on fly
    • Can we load the script (on-the-fly) in a VS.Net IDE and debug through it? This should be done on a button click in a windows application. If the script has to be debuggable, what are specific settings?
    • Can we selectively run a script based on config settings that associates the script with a specific feed file
    • Can we associate single script with multiple excel (or any other format) files?
    • Can we use VSTA for parsing XML, CSV, PDF and text files?
    • Where can/should the script/add-in be stored relative to the application's path?
    • How can i implement changes and deploy the changes to multiple client machines on fly
    • What are different ways in which an Add in can be deployed. C/S, Distributed server
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:26 PM forum consolidation (From:Architecture, Tools, and Process for ISVs)
    Tuesday, November 7, 2006 12:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Unfortunately, I'm not a VSTA expert. Check MS VSTA site (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700828.aspx) and Summit software's VSTA blog (http://www.summsoft.com/blogs/msvsta/default.aspx). Seems like many of your questions are answered there.

-Michel

Sunday, November 26, 2006 2:47 PM
  • Hi Michel,

I'm wondering about point number 2  that rajshekar brings up
    Can we write the code/script in VSTA, store it in files/database; load the script and run it on the fly through a windows application Neither of the links above seem  to address that scenario (either confirming it's possible or otherwise).  Can you recommend someone else to contact regarding whether this scenario is possible with VSTA?

I've seen it done using the VSA engine (to allow users to specify custom business rules) but given its deprecation, I'm hesitant to use it.

Thanks

Monday, November 27, 2006 6:38 PM
  • With VSTA you create a managed assembly using C#, VB.NET etc and I can't see why you couldn't load this assembly they way you describe. The following post http://blogs.msdn.com/vsta/archive/2006/03/16/552926.aspx describes something simmillar. I'll try to get a VSTA guy to comment on this...

-Michel

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:21 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Michel, it is very much appreciated!

It would be great if you could get a VSTA guy to comment on this;The above example (and other examples on add-ins) seem to concentrate on creating the add-ins via the IDE, and I've tried that succesfully but what I'm trying to do is build it on the fly (a fair part of the code will be generated at runtime). The bulk of the add-in would remain the same but business rules would be updated at runtime.

Thanks again,

Sacha

Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:21 PM