none
Kinect Studio cannot Initialize Direct 3D... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running Kinect SDK 1.5.1 on a machine with Win 8 RP (8400) with Visual Studio 2012 RC. The machine is IBM Thinkpad X60 with  Intel 945 Express chipset and I'm getting following error message box when I'm trying to launch Kinect Studio:

"Kinect Studio cannot Initialize Direct 3D. This is due to your graphics driver/card capabilities. Please verify you have the latest driver version installed and restart kinect Studio"

In the same time samples from the SDK which I suppose use Direct 3D (e.g. DepthWithColor-D3D.exe) run without errors.

I have latest Direct X SDK and runtime installed.

I wonder if there is anything in Direct X setting I can change to get the Kinect Studio up and running?

Cheers,

Oleg

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:01 PM

All replies

• Same here, in the message, they said that may be caused by graphic card driver,  May be drivers for Windows 8 are not completely ready....  I have a Quadro 4000, so I doubt my graphic card cannot run Kinect studio ;-)  but this info can help to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Eric

Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:34 PM
  • just a guess, but, do you have directX_9 sdk installed? I had to do that on my netbook to get it to work.

Monday, July 16, 2012 12:36 AM
  • just a guess, but, do you have directX_9 sdk installed? I had to do that on my netbook to get it to work.

Hi Mike,

Tnank you for answering!

I've installed DirectX SDK v.9.29.1962. Is it a correct one?

Could you please send a link to the SDK which you've got?

Cheers,

Oleg

Monday, July 16, 2012 12:06 PM
  • It could be that the drivers cannot call those directx functions because some supported  function is not available using default built-in windows drivers.  I've had this happen and if this is the case go to manufacturers website of your graphics card and download a driver if they have one for windows 8 (latest up-to-date one).

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:26 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:25 PM