none
VS 2015-- Cannot add table to SQL database

Question

• I'm on a shared SQL server.  When I attempt to add a new table, I now get a new designer, which I don't like.  I attempt to "Update" and get the following error response:

SQL00000 :: The target database schema could not be retrieved. The reverse engineering operation cannot continue because you do not have View Any Definition permission on the server *my server name*

How do I give myself this permission, and why do I need to do so, when I never did before?

Monday, January 30, 2017 2:04 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Please try restarting Visual Studio.

Or try adding the table on the DB by using SQL Server Management Studio. Instructions on how to connect to your database using SQL Server Management Studio can be found in How to connect to a SQL server using SQL Server Management Studio

Best regard,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 5:24 AM
  • Hi Benjamin Lassmann,

What about this issue?

Please check that whether it still is failed even if the user is also db_owner:

http://www.asptricks.net/2015/07/you-do-not-have-view-definition.html

Or check that whether it is related to the sys.database_permissions route:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7113bb62-4899-47f3-be83-9bb5f982d6f5/schema-comparison-view-definition-permissions-error?forum=vstsdb

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 10:46 AM